Thursday, April 21, 2016

The Kitchen Sync

"Red Slasher"--Thursday, 4/21/16

I did not intend for there to be all this dramatic tension at the end of the Work the Wardrobe Challenge.  Will the weather cooperate so that Sally is not way over-heated and/or looks like a complete idiot wearing tights today?  (I can manage tights + tall boots up to about 65 F and tights + shoes up to somewhere in the low 70s, depending on how sunny it is and thus how warm it is inside my no-AC-at-the-moment office.  Where do I start looking like an idiot?  Hmm, perhaps that shouldn't be too stringent a criterion...)

Although Shea wore this as an almost-Christmas casual work outfit (sweatshirt + cords), I liked the grey top + red skirt combination as an option in any season.

From shealennon.com

I went with a grey striped top and red pencil skirt as the basis for my look, then added more grey and leopard print to the bottom half.  It was only fitting then that I mirror the red on the bottom half by wearing a red scarf.  I liked how the white vest lightens the whole outfit and gives it a somewhat "spring" feel.  (Note that I did not attempt to replicate the "red legs" aspect with red tights.)


Red pencil skirt (JCP), $5.95/wear
Grey striped top (Kohls), $1.70/wear
Grey tights
Grey leopard flats by Fergilicious, $0.70/wear
Red scarf (Target), $1.33/wear
White open weave cardigan vest (JCP), $5.52/wear

Outfit total: $15.20/wear

A few weeks after putting this outfit together, I saw an even more similar version on Jen's librarian style blog!  (She lives in the relatively warm Pacific Northwest, so her February outfit has fewer layers than my spring version.)  Reverse Inspiration twins!

From librarianforlifestyle.com

In other news...I have taken to syncing my Fitbit to my phone each morning in the kitchen while I have breakfast (or more typically, a foul flaxseed oil/cod liver oil mixture) so I can get the rundown on my previous night's sleep.  It's nice to see confirmation that I wake up a ton of times during the night--well, a couple dozen times.  I've been hitting a bit under 7 hours sleep each night this week, even though I'm in bed closer to 7.5 to 8 hours.  All that waking up and changing position 25 times per night eats up some time.  But I like that my time to fall asleep is generally pretty short, under 10 minutes!  I just wish that it were easier to put the Fitbit into manual sleep mode.  This whole tapping thing doesn't work very well for me.  I had to get Robert to try it last night after I lost patience with it.  Apparently the trick is you have to tap with the tip of your fingernail very rapidly in the area just below the clear light zone?  Sigh.

Huh, it just started raining again.  I was glad for another cool-ish, cloudy/rainy day that supported my tights-wearing ways.

No comments: