Sunday, April 10, 2016

Another Outing for Big Blue...

"Colorado Princess"--Sunday, 4/10/16

...The big blue necklace, that is.  Seeing another inspiration photo with this combination, I guess wearing a fancy necklace with a puffy vest is a thing.  Works for me.

From studentrate.com

I took this opportunity to wear my striped wool sweater for the Work the Wardrobe Challenge.  This is an odd sweater.  I always feel like it's one that I'm not fond of, but when I put it on, I liked it a lot.  I think I confuse it with a different striped wool sweater from Target that I purged from my closet before I even started the WtW Challenge in April.  (I had this problem with this shirt as well, the first time I wore it this year.)  Well, maybe one side effect of eliminating more items from my wardrobe is that I will not continue avoiding things because I think I don't like them very much.  Indeed, seeing something that I think I don't like, I should try it on and test it, then either be delighted to have rediscovered something I enjoy or be able to purge that sucker right then.

But then when I put it on to wear today, it felt funny and scrunched up weird with the shirt.  So maybe I don't like this sweater after all!  After all this back and forth...screw it.  I don't need another wool sweater.  Off to Goodwill with you, confusing sweater.  It would have been too hot to wear this sweater today anyway, which is another problem with wool.  Even here in Coldville, my window of opportunity for a wool sweater is narrow--especially sweaters made of merino wool that are too scratchy to wear on their own (unlike e.g. cashmere).  If I am going to have wool sweaters, I'm better off with ones more versatile than this one anyway.



Grey/navy/olive striped pullover sweater (thrifted, Gap)
Navy button up shirt (Eddie Bauer), $3.00/wear
Black quilted vest (Mountain Lake/Stage), $1.54/wear
Skinny jeans (JCP), $0.80/wear
Tall grey boots by LifeStride, $10.00/wear
Blue/crystal bib necklace (Baublebar), $17.33/wear

Outfit total: $32.67/wear

Let this view appease your inner magpie.


Do you ever have this problem, having an item in your closet but not wearing it because you think something is wrong with it or you don't like it? Or do you find that you go back and forth on a particular item? 

In other news...I completed The Pitt in Fallout 3 today.  I kidnapped a superbaby (i.e., one that has natural immunity to radiation/other bad stuff) from her slavemaster + scientist parents!  (I first wrote "had to" kidnap the baby, but it was actually a choice--Robert chose to leave the baby with her parents.)  But I left her in good hands, I think. 

I continued to feel kind of wimpy and semi-sick this weekend.  But any weekend I get to kill dozens of slavers in a computer game is a good weekend, you know?

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Mmm, shiny.

I do have things in my closet that I don't wear because I think something is wrong with it. I have pants where I don't love the fit or the fabric, but I keep it as a backup because wearable pants are hard to find. I have skirts that I think have static cling problems, but I haven't tried different kinds of slips and they're so pretty!

Sally said...

I hear you on the pants. I've actually done better getting rid of pants that are meh recently--which is easier for me because I wear skirts so often, I don't rely on pants on a daily basis. I'm also more willing to wear the same pants over and over again than I am other things.

Static cling with skirts is a tough one. I don't have experience with that, even though I wear skirts all the time. I am also in the market for a slip for summer, though, because the great white skirt (that sounds like it should have a "shark bite" hem, heh) that I bought is perfect with tights but needs an extra layer if I'm going to wear it this summer sans tights. I'd actually forgotten about the slip thing. Putting it on my list right now!

Debbie said...

Yeah, I don't wear skirts at all except for ballroom dancing these days. Part of the problem is that I think they go great with sandals, but I don't wear sandals at all these days.

(Possible TMI warning: But my doctor has a new toenail fungus treatment for me to try, so that may change.)

For winter, I like the idea of skirts with boots, but I don't own any boots, nor have I noticed any great ones, though admittedly, I haven't tried very hard. And I like them with tights, but have had trouble with static cling. Again, I haven't tried very hard.

It's been easier just to go with my winter uniform of pants/jeans + long-sleeved shirt + sweater or jacket and my summer uniform of shorts + t-shirt (+ sweater or jacket for the AC). But I like skirts and dresses and think they are flattering.

Sally said...

It would be nice if you could get your skirts back in rotation again. I do like how easy they are to fit.

I feel like Austin is too warm to get a lot of use out of boots, but when I consider your temperature preferences...no, you definitely could rock the boots in the winter. I've seen people wear both ankle boots and tall boots with skirts sans tights in ways that look good, but I haven't tried that myself. (I kind of figure if it's boots weather, it's tights weather, you know? But southern women do wear boots with bare legs.)

Since you don't have to deal with snow, pants/jeans in the winter makes a lot of sense. Here, it's convenient to wear a skirt or dress with tights and boots (wearing snow boots and carrying ankle boots or other shoes into work when needed).

What kind of shoes do you wear with shorts? Sneakers?

Debbie said...

I would wear tights with boots.

No snow, but rain isn't great for jeans, either. But then it rarely rains here, either.

With shorts I wear sneakers. Generally running shoes or hiking shoes, sometimes "tennis shoes" (Keds look-alikes). I also wear short socks. Not the super-short socks that barely stick out of your shoe, but the kind that you fold down once. You know, for an extra-ugly farmer tan! When I'm in a hurry or lazy, white socks. Otherwise, pretty colors that match my shirt.

Sally said...

Farmer's tan...wha...oh yeah, other people experience that thing where your skin turns a color other than red when exposed to sunlight. :)

Debbie said...

Heh.