Monday, February 29, 2016

Bring the Bling

Wearing Mixed Up Outfits: A Litmus Test--2/28/16

This inspiration photo combines a plaid button up shirt, a bright pink puffy vest, and a big-ass necklace with jeans.  It seems sort of incongruous yet interesting.  Shall we try it?

From stylesavvydfw.com

I chose my trusty dark plaid flannel shirt as my base layer.  It's funny, this is a men's shirt I bought several years ago as a robe substitute and then, once we moved to the frozen north, started wearing to bed with various knit shirts and flannel pajama bottoms (that did not come with a matching "jacket").  I think last year was the first time I tried wearing it in a non-sleep/non-lounging context.  I wore it earlier this winter when Robert and I visited the ivory gull along the cold lakeside.  So it's got a really funky cost-per-wear going here.

For the necklace, I brought out the mega-fancy one I purchased for Robert's mom's cocktail wedding.  I have hoped that it would work in other situations...and I am choosing a pretty extreme one to test its versatility.  But if you can't wear a men's flannel shirt with Barbie's ski vest and a cocktail wedding necklace and masculine suede Oxfords on the weekend, then this isn't America!


Green plaid flannel button up shirt (Walmart), $1.67/wear [non-sleep-related]
Bright pink puffy vest (thrifted, Casual Corner), $0.44/wear
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, Kohls), $1.75/wear
Blue/crystal bib necklace (Baublebar), $26.00/wear
Black suede Oxfords (thrifted, Munro America), $0.83/wear

Outfit total: $30.69/wear [85% of which is the necklace!]

In other news...I spent most of the day on a closet clean-out!  More on that later.

No comments: