Tuesday, February 2, 2016

February Arrives

...And Brings Along the Snow--Tuesday, 2/2/16

Oh, tipped jacket, I have one that is so much like you!  It is screaming to be worn this way.

From whatiwore.tumblr.com

For the sake of comfort, I swapped my black lace-hemmed knit top for the button up shirt in the inspiration photo, but I think I stayed pretty true to the original outfit.  I am crazy about bright pink and teal together, so add in the tipped blazer and I'm sold.


Cream polka dot blazer (thrifted, Target), $0.83/wear
Dark teal pencil skirt (JCP), $2.58/wear
Pink sweater vest (thrifted, Fieldgear), $1.33/wear+
Black lace-hemmed T (thrifted, Coldwater Creek), $0.67/wear
Black tights
Black heeled Oxfords (thrifted), $0.63/wear
Black tooth/claw necklace (Outfit Additions), $1.27/wear

Outfit total: $7.31/wear

Every time I wear these heeled Oxfords, I'm afraid they'll reach the end of their life.  I've had them forever, and bought them at a thrift store originally, so they date to the 1990s.  But so far, they're holding out OK-ish and (knock wood) I hope they stay in my closet for a while yet.  They are perfection.  Although I think the more brogue-like heeled Oxfords you typically see are cute in their own right, I like that these are sleeker and made of suede.  Still, it's probably time to start searching for a replacement because it might take some time.


I was initially going to wear an outfit with tall leather boots but the weather forecast of 5-8" of snow today made me think it was better to wear my tall Sorel snowboots to work and carry a pair of shoes to change into indoors.  I have weatherproofed my tall riding boots with beeswax, but 5-8" is enough snow to bring out the big guns.



In other news...Our technology department sent out an email at 2:00 p.m. saying that they were closed "due to the weather."  I turned to my office mate and asked, "Huh, so why are WE still here then?"  It's funny--the technology people are among the staff least able to work from home, yet they were the only group I knew of to abandon work early today (although there might have been others, of course).  My group certainly didn't. 

I overheard somebody say to co-worker M., "It's so pretty outside but no fun for driving" and his response was, "Good thing I'm not driving!"  It's crazier, though--he bikes to work.  Every day.  In all weather.

As I was leaving (AT MY NORMAL TIME) today, my office mate mentioned that at least I have an easy drive home.  And I said yeah except for Blah and Blah [a couple windy, very low traffic residential streets that I take to get to the main road home], where it can get kind of dicey in snow or ice, especially where the road inclines.  So after a ridiculous length of time brushing snow off my car, I drove to the intersection of Blah and Blah...where I stopped behind an SUV with its hazard lights on.  I waited a minute, then pulled forward so I could see around the corner to where a school bus had lost control on the incline and gotten stuck in a bank of snow.  I drove past the SUV and into a very small parking lot so I could turn around and find another route home.  I saw about 4 people with shovels digging out the bus.  So even though I felt a little grumpy by the time I got home (which didn't take that long because my GPS found me a pretty straightforward alternative route on more major streets with the only drawback being two left turns), I was a lot less grumpy than the people at that bus!

Tonight Robert and I watched Death in Paradise episode 3, in which we both nailed it right away, and in which I believe 3/4 of the guest stars were familiar from Midsomer Murders (and some other things, too).  That show is like the 50 British Actors, one right after the other.

2 comments:

Tam said...

This reminds me to pester you: do you have a shovel, blanket, water, and snacks in your car? You never know. The shovel can be especially handy. Mosch used to keep a child-sized snow shovel (plastic and about 2/3 the size of a regular broom) in our car for emergency digging-out situations.

Tam said...

I also found it was much often much quicker to de-snow the car with my child-sized snow shovel than with one of those long-handled brush/scraper combo things. (I realize I'm probably being ridiculous because you have more experience with all this than I do, but still.)