Sunday, February 14, 2016

Sunday Stripes

Love and Not So Love--2/14/16

Happy Valentine's Day!

This is just a shout-out to the people at Pinterest who have made it easier for users to trace back a pin to an original location on the Internet.  For example, when I went to the pin with the inspiration photo below, I could now "visit" the site, and instead of taking me to the main page for this woman's blog, it took me directly to the post where this photo came from.  Very nice!  So in addition to noting the source with the photo, I've been trying to link directly to the blog post somewhere as well.  Not necessarily because you will want to go to every (any) of them, but because I want to give people the credit they're due as much as I (with reasonable effort) can.  It doesn't look like this will work for every photo (so far, I've found that sometimes it only goes to a list of posts with a certain tag, and sometimes it doesn't really work at all) but I will be doing it when it does work.

So on to the inspiration photo: a red vest, striped top, and jeans.

From onelittlemomma.com

I used my warm zip up sweater vest over a thick striped top and added my White Rabbit pocket watch pendant because: White Rabbit (Love). 


Red sweater vest (thrifted, Liz Claiborne), $4.00/wear+
Black heavy knit top with grey and white stripes (thrifted, Dress Barn), $1.33/wear+
Skinny jeans (JCP), $1.31/wear
Tall black boots by Fitzwell, $3.00/wear
White Rabbit pocket watch pendant (Zad), $4.61/wear

Outfit total: $14.25

In other news...This blog post discusses a new study that finds that winning a competition against another person makes an individual more likely to cheat in a subsequent unrelated game.  The novel contribution here is that it's not high performance/success in an absolute sense (e.g., how many points you score on a trivia game, whether you win a lottery) but social comparison--beating someone else--that appears to produce the cheating effect.  The authors posit that winning a competition against someone else leads a person to feel a higher sense of entitlement and that entitlement leads to cheating.  (Note: they did not test for the mediating effect of entitlement on the winning-cheating relationship directly in their study, but did show that people feel more entitled after they recall winning a competition than after they recall achieving a goal, which is a less-social form of success.)

I'm slowly feeling a bit better but I've had a couple bad coughing jags today that combined with a headache/neckache/earache made me think my head was going to explode (Not So Love).  

No comments: