Thursday, February 18, 2016

Halfway

Red Plaid--Wednesday, 2/17/16

This is a pretty straightforward outfit, though I think the mint handbag and the brooch are nice touches.

From bluecollarredlipstick.com

Let's take another of my summer thrift store purchases, a red plaid skirt, and winterize this sucker.  (Note: this blogger lives in Canada, so she's no stranger to tights and boots.  I just happened to pick an outfit from a warmer season.)


*Red plaid skirt (thrifted, Hannah Anderson), $7.99/wear+
Black pullover sweater (thrifted, Calvin Klein), $1.67/wear
Green scarf (Target), $2.40/wear+
Black leggings
Tall black boots by Fitzwell, $2.92/wear
Not pictured: Black moto vest (JCP), $3.40/wear [worn during the morning while it was chilly]

Outfit total: $18.37/wear

I went with a bright green scarf as my nice touch.  Really, it's big and bold enough to count as two touches, I think.


In other news...This workweek is halfway over.  Yay.

This article presents the most important financial tips...and they fit on an index card.  Interesting.

7 comments:

Jen M. said...

Although apparently your credit score is slightly higher if you carry a tiny balance on CCs. I think 3-5% or something is the sweet spot? Which is ridiculous.

Sally said...

Jen, that's an interesting point. I'd heard something like that once, too, but had forgotten it. I can't imagine that it's worth it to pay interest to bump your credit score ever so slightly but perhaps there are some situations where it would be worth it.

Debbie said...

These are not the same things I would put on an index card. For example, I think it's more important to eat every day than to max your retirement accounts.

It sort of hits the most important point--spend less than you earn (or earn more than you spend) when it says to pay off your credit cards in full each month. But I would want these points to be on it:

* have a savings fund (for emergencies, opportunities)
* don't spend money on stuff you don't want (speeding tickets, bounced checks, things that look good to the Joneses but not to you)

I do like the last point, though, and would not have thought of it (social programs). I also like laws against evilness (like loan sharks and those guys who gave house loans to people who couldn't afford them) for similar reasons.

Sally said...

Debbie, I think the question of how much should I put to paying off debt vs. savings (for retirement or for an accessible savings fund) is one a lot of people struggle with. Guidance in this area would be helpful.

Debbie said...

Definitely.

1) Prioritize by penalty/reward.

Example: Make minimum payments to avoid late fees. Then have a small savings account so cash flow problems don't lead to late fees. Then maximize company matching (50% to 100% gain). Then pay off highest-interest debts (18% or whatever). Then add to retirement account (8% average expected gain). Then pay off car and house (2% or whatever these days).

2) Make exceptions that maximize your motivation. Like pay off the small loans first for quick victories. Or add to retirement accounts early to watch that grow. Or save x% of extra loan payments toward a vacation fund.

Sally said...

Debbie--Nice! I want to see your index card.

Debbie said...

Hmm, maybe I'll think about that some more.