Thursday, July 16, 2015

Vacation Day 5

We slept in this morning, until 5:00 a.m., then went to a nearby park for a bird hike.  We walked about 3.25 miles according to Robert's mileage app (more than we'd intended) and saw/heard a reasonable number of birds, though a fairly limited number of species (19).  The one that gave us the biggest trouble was the house wren, of all things.  We'd never heard one singing his "exuberant song" and between its extremely plain appearance and the dark conditions in the woods on a cloudy morning, it was hard to see any field marks at all.  Luckily we were able to match the song to a recording on Robert's birding app and ID that sucker because we heard a bunch of them throughout our walk.

We came back to the apartment to clean up (e.g., wash off mud and bug spray), then went to the little zoo (the one we went to with my parents) to see the animals, plants, and Japanese garden.  Despite being a "little" zoo, because we didn't grab a map when we arrived, we ended up circling around everything about 3 times.  When Robert tracked our route on his computer, we estimated that we managed to walk about 2.25 miles around the zoo.

By the time we got home, we were foot-sore and generally worn out.  5.5 miles for the morning might not seem like a lot, but our recent exercise routine has not prepared us for that long a walk, and more than the walking itself, the milling/standing about both while birding and while at the zoo is tough on the body.  We were on our feet for about 6 hours or so.

After returning from the zoo, we ate a late lunch, then took an hour long nap (which we set a timer for so we didn't sleep all afternoon).  It's been a rainy day today, so we both had weather-related headaches.  I didn't really want to take a nap but my head was so bad that I pretty much could not stand being conscious.  After a groggy 15 minutes or so after waking up, I took a shower and realized I felt a lot better.  Hurray for sleep!

I had no outfit posts for you yesterday because I wore a boring olive green hiking pants/long-sleeved white T/hiking shoes ensemble for our long day at the wildlife refuge, then came home and put on PJs after my shower.  But today I make up for it by wearing two of my (pre-planned) vacation outfits, one for the morning's activities and one for lounging at home this evening.

Double Outfits--Thursday, 7/16/15

Bird Hike + Zoo Trip

I like how Jen translated my casual summer outfit into something appropriate for work in the fall: a cardigan, tweed skirt, tights, and heeled mary janes with a bright handbag.

From librarianforlifeandstyle.com

Such a nice upgrade to this basic ensemble. 


*Navy tank top (Hanes), $6.00/wear+
Brown hiking skort (thrifted, Lane Bryant), $2.50/wear
Mud brown bead necklace by RB+
(For our outing, I switched out olive green hiking shoes)

Recovery Flower Power

I didn't know whether I'd be able to find a Reverse Inspiration for this over-the-top ensemble, but whaddya know...

From whowhatwear.com

I guess I'm not the only person into looking like a flower shop exploded all over them.  Don't worry--I didn't actually wear this in public :)


*Black small floral tank (thrifted, Christopher Bank), $4.00/wear+
Beige/pink/blue floral skirt (thrifted, Kohls), $1.25/wear+
Beige mary janes (Naturalizer)+

2 comments:

jen said...

I wish we had the discipline to vacation while staying at home. We've only done it when we have people staying with us. Left to our own devices, we could easily end up just binge-watching some stupid show on Netflix... I guess the key is having a plan and sticking to it!

Sally said...

Jen, yes, we were afraid that would happen, too, so having the plan was critical. It helped that we had some distinct goals as well re: new bird species.