Friday, March 6, 2015

Skinnies for the Non-Skinny

WWWSC Day 22: Skinnies and a sweater--Friday, 3/6/15

This is more of a challenge for me than most people because I have not owned skinny jeans in a while (I gave my one pair to my mom when she visited me at the tail end of a long vacation, ran out of clean jeans, borrowed mine, and looked like a million bucks in them)......until now, that is.

On my trip to the JCP website in my ill-fated attempt to purchase that light grey blazer with the black edging, I saw a ridiculous thing--high waisted, easy fit denim leggings.  I mean, what the...?  How can that even be a thing?  When I told Robert about them, he was like, So, they're mom jeggings?  It was so strange, and the reviews were so positive (from women in my age 30+ group), and the price was so enticing, that I had to try them.  I went up a size on general principles and waited without much enthusiasm for them to arrive.  And when they did, Behold!  They looked like skinny jeans (including, thankfully, a normal button and zipper at the front) only they did not crush the life out of my thighs-of-the-Colossus (imagine his after he'd been putting in a lot of time on the leg press but also eating generous quantities of dark chocolate).  And there was much rejoicing.

So despite my irritation around the now-you-see-it-now-you-don't tipped blazer, JCP came through for me on the skinny jeans front.  This meant I clearly had to skip down all the way to Day 22 of this style challenge to try them out!  I was sick last Friday, when I'd first planned to wear them, but finally I recovered sufficiently that I was able to make this happen.

I went with this inspiration photo because it would give me the opportunity/excuse to wear a new cardigan with my new skinny jeans as well as the tall cognac boots that I've been wearing a lot lately now that I've weatherproofed them.

From stacyhacker.com

I also pulled out this paisley scarf that I don't wear as much as I'd like.  I somehow managed to amass 3 blue paisley scarves, and the one with green in it is such a workhorse that the others don't get a lot of attention.


*Teal cardigan (thrifted, Banana Republic)
*Black/white polka dot T (Kohls)
Light blue paisley scarf (Target)
*Skinny jeans (JCP)
Tall cognac boots by Sam Edelman

I couldn't resist the pull to wear another of my polka dot knit tops either.  They (and their stripey brothers) are just nicely shaped, thick, and comfy.  And polka dots + paisley = pattern pleasure.


Verdict:  Skinny jeans for women with thighs of size are out there, lurking in places you might not expect.  Now as you can see from the photos, these skinny jeans are not the mega-tight, can't tell that they aren't tights from a distance type skinny jeans, and that's OK with me.  I can totally live with a small amount of denim bunching around the knees if it means I can flex my quads without worrying that my thigh is going to rip the pant leg open, Hulk style.  That's really not the look I'm going for, particularly at work, and although these jeans were a reasonable price, I'm not interested in buying a new pair after each wearing.  Price per wear of $23 for a pair of jeans is just not on.

And now the weekend.  Hurrah!

1 comment:

mom said...

The skinny jeans fit perfectly and look great! I love the whole outfit.