Saturday, March 14, 2015

Another Great Body Size Article--Just in Time For Pi Day

Already Pretty hit it out of the park this week with links to good articles.

I really appreciated this essay about the common idea that plus sized black women get a "pass"--that they do not face the same body shaming, harmful stereotypes, etc. as plus sized white women; that they are effortlessly body positive; and the like.

(Bonus: Sad Thumper Rabbit from Winnie the Pooh clip.)

I've noticed that a lot of the body positive, fat fashion bloggers I see are black, and I think it can be easy for a white reader to assume that the self-acceptance/self-esteem these women display about their size has come somehow readily or naturally to them.  The essay was a good reminder that for many of these women, they have had to overcome huge steaming loads of cultural bullshit around their race and their size.

(Cue seamless transition to Pi Day...)

Are you doing any math today?  Eating any pie?

I seem to recall learning in school "pi R squared," but all the pies I'm seeing are round--so confused!  Well, I'm sure they're all deeply, madly delicious, regardless of their shape...or their size.


3 comments:

Debbie said...

Ha! Your last line made me smile.

I just want to say that sometimes pizza pie is made in a square shape.

mom said...

Dad made both a pumpkin pie and a french apple pie in honor of pi day and they were both round.

Sally said...

Debbie--ah yes, pizza pie, of course!

Mom--sigh, I would have loved some of each of those but my day was like the area of a square: pi free.