Tuesday, March 31, 2015

On the Grid

MMMSC Day 5: Target Favorites--Tuesday, 3/31/15

Probably my favorite Target purchases are the two tipped blazers (cream polka dot and black grid print) that I got at Goodwill.  Grid print (aka windowpane) is such a great pattern, and the Target blazer is the only thing I own with that print (except for a scarf, now that I think about it), waaaah.  Pinterest and blogs right now are filled with all kinds of great grid print shirts, dresses, coats, pants, etc.  I liked this pairing of stripes and grid print from an ad for Lands End pants.

From Landsend.com

I chose to pair a striped shirt with the grid blazer and added a bunch of solid green to debut two items I recently bought at JC Penney.  I thought this outfit was a nice balance of warm comfy and spring looking--and adaptable enough to deal with these low below freezing, high above 60 F days we're having this week.  The shirt and pants can stand on their own if my office gets to warm for the blazer and scarf.

Confession:  In the photo, you can see that I put on my ankle boots by default, but once I saw how it looked (awkward!), I switched them out for my black buckle flats instead.  Much better.  But I forgot to take re-take photos.  Oops.


Black grid blazer (thrifted, Target)
Black and white striped T (Kohls)
*Green pants (JCP)
*Green scarf (JCP)
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman Black buckle flats by Me Too

It feels a bit odd to be wearing a pair of tapered leg trousers again.  These are JCP's "slim" pants, which kind of make me feel like it's the 90s again, though not necessarily in a bad way.  I mean, they do not seem like a pair of pants I actually could have owned in the 90s--the wide waistband, the flat front, and the moderate (not high waisted) rise are definitely hallmarks of a modern garment, not an old one.  I liked them as a colorful alternative to the skinny ankle pants that usually don't play nicely with my body.

OK, I admit, the boots do look nifty from this top down perspective, though.


Verdict:  I love tipped blazers!  I love grid print!  I would love to wear a white tipped brightly colored blazer (maybe coral) that I don't have with a grid print skirt that I don't have!

Oh, but as for this outfit, I found that it was pretty easy being green.

Also, it was very smart of me to buy two striped tops because I seem to wearing them ALL THE TIME.  With everything.  Though I guess I have not yet worn one of these black and white striped Ts with my black and white striped knit pencil skirts...or with my black and white striped knit blazer.  Yikes.  I think that would be too much even for me, but it's probably a never say never situation.

And as it turned out, I did go blazer-free in the afternoon.  I was able to get by without another jacket or coat this morning, too, which was great.

2 comments:

mom said...

I really like this outfit. Very springy! And the pants fit very nicely.

Sally said...

Thanks, I enjoyed wearing a seasonally appropriate color for once :)