Thursday, March 26, 2015

Birds on a Shirt

WWWSC Day 24: Layer in an unexpected way--Thurs., 3/26/15

For this one, I didn't bother with an inspiration photo because I knew I wanted to do something very odd indeed--wear my navy/blue bird pullover with a button up shirt underneath it.  This was particularly awkward because the button up shirt has long sleeves and the pullover has three-quarter sleeves, produced by rolling up long sleeves and stitching them in place.  So either the long sleeves of the button up shirt stick out beneath the pullover or the sleeves are rolled into a giant cuff.  Yeah, I wasn't planning for that.  Oh well, I still liked the stripes/birds vibe going on here.  (Note how I cleverly obscured the cuff issue in this photo by chopping off the ends of my arms as well as my head?)


*Black/light blue striped button up shirt (thrifted, Cato)
Blue/navy bird pullover (Kohls)
Pink floral statement necklace (Target)
Navy pants (thrifted, Pantology)
Navy ankle boots by Seychelles

The striped shirt has a few pink stripes that I used as an excuse to bring the pink necklace in.  The pullover may have swallows on it, but the necklace is here to satisfy my inner magpie--oooh bright shiny--and to provide a bit of visual relief against all this blue.


Verdict:  I wish the cuffs of the bird pullover were not stitched in place.  I mean, I get it, for a lot of people it's way more convenient to have it pre-styled in this way (the long sleeves rolled to the practical 3/4 length is a cool look, but can be fiddly to achieve yourself and has a tendency to unroll just as your hands are covered in flour or something), but it's kind of annoying for those of us who want more versatility.  Make it long sleeved, make it 3/4 length sleeved, whatever, but no big stitched-in rolled cuff.  Oh well, that's a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things--it's a comfy pullover with birdies on it!  BIRDIES!  And unlike my "snuggle bunny" and French bunny t-shirts, I can actually make this bird shirt work in a business casual office environment, and that's a happy thing.  I don't really hold it against the designer that they did not foresee my button up shirt layering needs.  I am layering in an unexpected way, after all.  Thus, challenge complete.  One more day of the WWWSC to go!

In other news...it was actually quite cool when I left work this evening.  I saw a woman leave the building, walking extremely fast, and no wonder--she had on a puffer coat, but was wearing a shirt skirt with ballet flats and NO TIGHTS with it.  Insane.  Supposed to warm up this weekend, though.  We'll see.

2 comments:

Tam said...

I love love love love love that top with the birds on it. Love.

I mean I like a lot of your clothes on a sort of ordinary level, but that top. Mm!

Sally said...

Thanks! I love it, too.