Monday, March 9, 2015

Spots and Dots

WWWSC Day 28: Give a feminine dress some edge--Monday, 3/9/15

For this prompt, it was easy for me to go with a moto jacket as a way to toughen up a girly dress.  I loved the fuchsia leopard print in this pin, but alas, that's not something I have in my closet.

From elegance-revisited.com

So I went with a summery polka dot dress with a full and frothy skirt, added the edgifying moto jacket and black ankle boots, and incorporated animal print with my coral leopard-head print infinity scarf.  I turned the dress into a skirt visually by layering a cream sweater over the dress--this is such a simple idea but really multiplies the possibilities of my dresses (at least until we have summer for a few weeks).


*Black polka dot dress (thrifted, Target)
Cream 3/4 sleeve pullover sweater (Kohls)
Black moto jacket (JCP)
Coral leopard-head scarf (thrifted)
Black tights
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman



I've already raved about this scarf, but I don't know whether I've said how much I like this thick but not overly warm sweater.  It's got a nice bit of textural interest but is plain enough to work in a hundred different outfits without being like, Oh she's wearing that sweater again.

Verdict:  I LOVED the juxtapositions in this outfit--the dress + moto jacket + ankle boots + scarf formula is a real winner for me that suits my style to the ground.

Once again, this is a summery dress that I never wore by itself.  I think I find the simplicity of a dress on its own too boring usually, so when it's actually warm enough to wear a dress that way, I don't.  I have thought about how versatile a garment a fuller black polka dot skirt would be, and was happy to work that look here for free (and without adding to my already ridiculously large wardrobe).

It never hurts to feel a little bit like a bad-ass on a Monday.