Monday, March 30, 2015

Fluttering

MMMSC Day 6: Accessorize--Monday, 3/30/15

Oh yes, I want to wear my new colorful butterfly scarf!

And this inspiration photo from a German blogger depicts an outfit that will show it off very nicely.

From aheartandsoulstory.blogspot.de

Black jeans, black blazer, mint or light blue top, and a scarf.  Simple.  I like the fit of these bootcut jeans a lot--I always think they're going to be too small when I'm putting them on but then [woosh] magic happens and they fit perfectly.  They have enough stretch to fit themselves to my body but not so much stretch that they end up baggy by the end of the day.  They also look fabulous with boots--go figure.

I'm disappointed that the bright daylight somehow managed to wash out the colors in this photo.  The jacket and jeans are true black, not the kind of dark grey they look here.


*Black butterfly scarf (Kohls)
Light blue T (Kohls)
Black jeans (thrifted, NYDJ)
Black ponte knit blazer (Target)
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman

Let's get a close up of this lovely scarf.  The combination of black and a bunch of other soft primary colors will make it very versatile, I think.  I'm already trying to decide whether to pair it with red or cobalt next time.


Verdict:  I like how wearing black jeans and a black knit blazer is like the super-comfortable alternative to wearing a suit--it has a similar "put together" quality (though obviously at a more casual level).  Weirdly enough, I don't think I've ever tried this combination before.  This would make for a very useful outfit formula: black jeans + black knit blazer + black shoes/boots + knit top + interesting patterned scarf. A nice comfy way to start off Spring Break...while still going to work. 

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice.

I used almost that strategy - black slacks + charcoal blazer + colorful shirt + black belt/shoes/purse + colorful necklace.

Yes, that butterfly scarf looks wonderfully versatile.

Sally said...

Debbie, I feel silly that I never stumbled upon this formula before.

Debbie said...

Well, you haven't needed it! You have many, many formulas!

jen said...

I haven't been able to post comments from mobile, but I've been meaning to say I think this was super cute!

Sally said...

Well that's annoying--but thanks for your comment, Jen!