Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Winter Florals

WWWSC Day 10: Wear a bold print--Wednesday, 3/11/15

"Bold print" says "bright colors" to me, but I wanted to do something a bit different and wear my boldly-patterned but neutral-colored floral blazer.

Looking up floral jackets on Pinterest, I loved this black and white stripes and floral combo with a bright colored pencil skirt and black tights.

From pennilesssocialite.com

Now one important difference between her blazer and mine is the scale of the flowers.  I've tried to make her photo large enough that you can see that it's small white flowers against a black background.  Mine, in keeping with the bold print theme, has gigantic flowers...like "the flowers that ate Cincinnati" huge.  I also reversed her darker blazer/lighter shirt, and I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the final result.  I think a shirt in lighter shades, perhaps grey and white, with more evenly spaced stripes would have been better suited to this jacket.  But I did like the fact that this shirt is warm, with a feel that is about 2/3 of the way from T-shirt to cuddly sweater, and super-comfortable. And the combination of the shirt and jacket grew on me over the course of the day.


Black pullover with white/grey stripes (thrifted, Dress Barn)
Grey/white floral blazer (Coldwater Creek)
Dark teal pencil skirt (JCP)
Black tights
Black heeled Oxfords (thrifted)
Big ball necklace (Macy's)

I also liked the dark teal skirt with the grey/white I had going on top--the bright blue of her skirt would have been overpowering with this combination, I think, and I wanted to let that bold print (well, bold prints, I guess I should say) stand out.  And, you know, I don't have a bright blue skirt, so it was not a difficult decision.  These shoes continue, after like 15+ years, to be so comfortable and perfect--I love wearing them with tights.


I also preferred wearing my big ball necklace instead of a floral piece, which felt a bit too matchy-matchy for me.  Can you imagine how big the floral necklace would have to be to really match this blazer?  There's statement necklace and then there's "this necklace is screaming loud enough for people in Vietnam to hear," which is a good thing I guess because its ginormous size and weight would make it impossible for me to move my vocal chords.


Verdict: My big-ass flower blazer speaks volumes, and those volumes are not droning audio books covering an introduction to financial accounting. 

....Which is perhaps a good thing because I was SO SLEEPY during my 3 hour meeting this morning.  Around 11:30 (the halfway point), I thought I was going to zonk out like the white rabbit in yesterday's FB rabbit photo.  This whole spring forward thing is kicking my ass.

No comments: