Thursday, March 5, 2015

All Red

WWWSC Day 15:  Monochrome in a bright color--Thursday, 3/5/15

This one was one of the more challenging of the challenges because I tend to mix up my colors a lot or just go neutral.  It was hard to think of a bright color I wanted to wear top and bottom that wasn't just wearing a dress (that feels like cheating and anyway, a dress on its own isn't warm enough) and that doesn't present a lot of matching difficulties (e.g., the 50 shades of teal problem).  So I settled on red and got to work on Pinterest, where I was rewarded with this pin.

From refinery29.com (J. Crew catalog article)

Look familiar?  Yep.  Red cable knit pullover sweater with red bubble necklace--been there, done that.


But I could go there and do that again, only without the vest and with a red skirt!


Red wool pullover sweater (thrifted, Lands End)
Red T (Lands End)
Red corduroy skirt (thrifted, H&M)
*Brown sweater tights (Target)
Tall brown boots by Fitzwell
Red bubble necklace (Outfit Additions)

The sweater tights have a chevron pattern in them, which helps add more texture to this rather plain outfit.


Verdict:  That is a lot of red to wear at one time.  I'm glad it's not too close to Christmas because it definitely has a potentially Christmas-y vibe going.  Or wait, maybe wearing a Christmas-y outfit close to Christmas is better than wearing one during Lent.  In any event, this was a warm, comfortable outfit that despite its overload of red did not appear to cause instantaneous blindness in any of my co-workers.  Of course I spent most of the afternoon in a darkened room for a computer training, so the effects of this much red in normal daylight conditions for extended periods of time are still unclear.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Interesting challenge! I've never thought of going monochrome like that, but I kind of like it.

And I thought you had lots of great texture even without the chevrons in the tights.

Sally said...

Thanks! This was definitely not something that it would have readily occurred to me to do.