Monday, August 24, 2015

Summer to Fall Transition

And a New Camera--Monday, 8/24/15

When I saw these inspiration photos pairing a green sweater with a white skirt, I thought that would make a great seasonal transition outfit...or an outfit for a cool-ish summer day.  Today was that day (expected high 67F).

Inspiration #1 features a dark sweater, a skirt, and patterned flats.

From dresscorilynn.com

Inspiration #2 adds a long gold necklace to the green-white mix.

From apocketfulofpolkadots.com

This weekend I took outfit photos with my new camera for the first time!  Although it was rather extremely frustrating to figure it out at first, Robert and I got my camera set up on the tripod and my cell phone set up to act as a remote shutter release.  (Going into remote mode switches the view from the camera to my phone, so I can see what the photo will look like--convenient, no?)  While my photos are not fantastic (well, as you can see, I'm doing this in my living room instead of in a scenic environment with great natural light), I think they are better than with my old little camera, and it's a lot easier for me to do.  I don't have to hold both arms over my head in an odd and shake-prone position--hooray!

Anyway, here's my version of this outfit, another "forest animal" kind of combination.


*Dark green pullover sweater (thrifted, Kohls), $5.00/wear+
White pleated skirt (thrifted, Chaps), $1.00/wear (!!!)
Leopard flats (Nordstrom), $5.00/wear
Gold tassel necklace (Kohls), $2.86/wear

Outfit total: $13.86/wear

It was even easier for me to do the top-down selfie with my new setup, but I need to work on making my shoes more obvious/prominent in the photos.


This weekend I also tried out my camera on the gang of delinquents frequenting our balcony bird seed supply.  Is my photography improving with the new camera?  The front bird looks skeptical but willing to consider the possibility.


In other news...About halfway through the day, I suddenly noticed the faint ghost of the lunchtime guacamole encounter just over 1 year ago.  Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it, even though it is so so so very light.  This stain, barely perceptible as it might be, definitely does not spark joy.  I think it's time to retire this skirt to the great resting place in the sky ground.  I enjoyed the fit, comfort, and appearance of this skirt, and I the $1/wear was money well spent. 

I have been thinking about getting a "winter white" skirt in a non-lightweight-cotton fabrication that I could wear in other seasons than the short summer in Coldville.  Now that I have no white skirt at all, I have all the more reason to keep an eye out.

Another day, another couple of little breakthroughs in my current data visualization project at work.  After spending last Friday trying (and finally succeeding) in getting the data to come through correctly, I was able to make some visible progress today.  (More visible than that guacamole stain, certainly.)

5 comments:

Tam said...

Definitely better pictures. Yay!

rvman said...

Bonus points for helping me figure out how the tripod (or specifically the head) actually is supposed to work.

Sally said...

Tam, I'm excited to see how my camera performs this week on Rabbit Day at the fair!

Robert, I'm glad one of us understands how it's supposed to work (I'm not sure I do). ;)

mom said...

So, I'm not the only one who can't stand even a slight stain that no one but I can see! And, yes, the photos are better! Enjoy your new camera!

Sally said...

Hah, yes, even with the better photos the stain doesn't show up but nope, can't do it. :)