Sunday, August 30, 2015

Having a Ball (Necklace)

With Pink and Black--Sunday, 8/30/15

When I saw this business casual work outfit, I thought it was a great chance to wear my magenta top with a braided neckline and my stretchy black pencil skirt with all the folds.  Well, as it turns out, no.

From work-it-blog.blogspot.com

When I tried on the top, I realized that it was a bit tight across the chest...and the hips, which meant that every crease and fold of fabric in the skirt underneath it stood out in bizarre relief.  Not the look I was going for.  So I decided to retire that top (good, I have too many anyway, and this was a very clear "not inspiring joy" example) and to find another pink top to replace it.  I substituted in one of my exercise tanks, but the thin fabric of it meant that the folds in the skirt bumped out oddly beneath that one, too.

OK, screw that, I decided to take the outfit in a weekend direction switching out my black knit hiking skirt (which I want to wear more anyway to bring down its cost-per-wear).  I'd also lost the interesting neckline of my original shirt so I added a statement necklace and what the hell, a pair of floral flats.

Despite all these switch-ups, I do feel that the result bears some resemblance to the inspiration.  And the cardigan (with skinny arms despite NOT being Target brand) was happier being worn with a sleeveless top, too.  (This is starting to become a theme with me.  My biceps have gotten bigger since I've been lifting weights every week.)


Bright pink exercise tank (Kohls)
Black knit hiking skirt (Patagonia), $8.57/wear
Short-sleeved white cardigan (Nordstrom), $2.49/wear
Wild ball necklace (Macy's), $4.06/wear
Black floral ballet flats (Payless), $2.60/wear

Outfit total: $17.72/wear

I was a little bit like, Awww, but I didn't get to wear a top that counts toward my Work the Wardrobe Challenge, since clothes intended primarily for exercise are not part of the challenge.  But then I realized, Oh yeah, getting rid of an item is as good or better than wearing it from a WtW perspective AND I have one less thing hanging in my closet, taking up space.  Yay!


Let's take a moment to chew on all the good consequences of purging your life of a no-longer-useful possession...or on a branch, if that's what you like.


In other news...I have gotten through all my rabbit photos!  After eliminating photos that didn't turn out, and moving a bunch of photos for use in EQ posts, I was left with 645 rabbit photos to last the year.  So, plenty of bunnies to keep the Daily Rabbit in business for over 20 months! 

My legs are tired but starting to feel normal today.  I mean, I definitely feel it when getting up out of a chair or sitting down, but I'm past the stage where I involuntarily gasp with pain, so I call that progress.

No comments: