Thursday, May 21, 2015

With a Waistcoat

Waiter!--Thursday, 5/21/15

On a Goodwill trip, lost to the reaches of time, I purchased a cute black suit vest, which I thought would be a useful layering piece.  And it sat untouched in my closet for months because I never really had any good ideas for wearing it and I did not want to do a "Sally dresses up like a waiter" outfit.  (Now with my current uncertain job situation, I especially do not feel like tempting fate.) 

So it was nice to see this outfit, in which our color-addicted blogger Christine models a distinctly not-waiter-esque look using a black suit vest.

From work-it-blog.blogspot.com

I love the red, but not having red pants, I turned to my spectacular blurple/burple/whatever pants.  Uncharacteristically, I preferred the outfit with the top tucked in.



Black and white paisley knit top (thrifted, Rafaella), $2.00/wear +
*Black suit vest (thrifted, JCP), $4.00/wear +
Purple pants (JCP), $8.00/wear +
Black pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom), $3.84/wear
Silver chain link necklace (gift from Mom), free +

One thing I noticed after taking these pictures is that my little vest has an affinity for random fuzz.  I have now gone at this thing with one of those roller-tape doohickeys and spiffed that vest up.


Speaking of spiffing up, here is what our dining room table used to look like, before we hired a cleaning service to come every two weeks.  As my mom had assured me, knowing that your house cleaner is going to come in the next day does motivate you to clean up your junk.  Although our dining room is by no means pristine these days, it definitely no longer looks like the local pharmacy and the archives of The Economist vomited all over it.

But note that I still have that old dinette set of my uncle's that was being stored in my grandmother's downstairs apartment--the one that my mom and I infamously absolutely refused to kill ourselves cleaning.  Mom, you'll not be surprised to hear that I haven't polished the chrome since that day in grandma's yard.  It's still looking good, though.

I guess this dark photo also attests to the efficacy of the blinds in our apartment at blocking out light.  These days, we usually keep the long blinds against the door to the balcony (which is behind my chair, the one with the yellow placemat) open, except when it is truly bright outside and Robert (sitting at the chair with the blue placemat) has a migraine.


You know, "vest" is a funny word.  In British English, a vest is tank top.  They call the thing I'm wearing a "waistcoat," which of course every Alice fan knows because in the third sentence of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the White Rabbit "actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it...."  In the first minutes of the Disney film Alice in Wonderland, Alice explains to her cat, "Oh Dinah, it's just a rabbit with a waistcoat...and a watch!"

You know, it really surprised me that I do not have a print of the White Rabbit wearing his classic waistcoat on my walls.

In other news....Are you playing Google Feud?  Good times, my friends.

Driving to work this morning, I saw a bunny at the edge of a residential area about half a block away from our offices!  Today was the first time I'd noticed that on this one corner (an empty lot--the houses are across the street), there is a lot of greenery that has grown up--all kinds of grasses and it looked like thistle.  The bunny was very interesting--clearly a wild (not feral) rabbit, a cottontail, but with a lot more white in his coat than I am used to.  But if you look at a bunch of photos of cottontail rabbits, you'll see that some do have a fair amount of white in their fur.  I was able to stop my car and watch the bunny for about a minute before he hopped into the greenery and disappeared from view.  When I got to work, I emailed Tam that this bunny sighting seemed like a good omen. 

Well, we had a staff meeting today in which our department head updated us on the budget situation (will not be finalized until June) and mentioned a couple of the other departments that had deep personnel cuts.  She did not mention anything about our department.  So I think at this point, she does not think that we will have any.  Things could change, but this seems like another good omen.

No comments: