Friday, May 8, 2015

A Different Kind of Animal Print

Pattern Challenge Day 25: Actual Animals--Thursday, 5/7/15

Today I have two Reverse Inspiration photos for you.  First, a monochromatic magenta skirt outfit.

From work-it-blog.blogspot.com

Second, a pink top and burgundy skirt with animal print.

From respecttheshoes.blogspot.com

Both of these women did an excellent job pre-creating my magenta/burgundy ensemble, but they are lacking one important thing.


Little penguins!  Are penguins considered a seasonal bird that should be worn in winter due to the (erroneous!) North Pole association?  Penguins actually live at the South Pole, and everyone knows it's warmer in the south, so clearly penguins are a very appropriate animal print for spring and summer.  Right?  Well....I really didn't want to wait for fall/winter to start wearing this cute ($6.12 at the JNY sale!) blouse so that argument works for me. 


I added a black lightweight cardigan to wear with it to work because it was a rainy and thus potentially cooler day; it wasn't actually that cool, but I was comfortable.


*Magenta penguin blouse (JNY)+
Burgundy pencil skirt (Nordstrom)+
Long black t-shirt weight cardigan (thrifted)+
Black pointy-toed flats+
Gold tassel necklace+

It's very hard to tell, but Matisse's Woman in a Purple Coat, who appears to be wearing a magenta striped coat, is actually wearing a coat with tiny penguins on it.  Matisse must have been obsessed with penguins because the magenta flowers in his Goldfish painting have microscopic penguins cavorting on them.  This truth has yet to penetrate the elitist art history orthodoxy, but be looking for an extensive discussion of this amazing revelation in my soon-to-be self-published eBook.


From our front door, you can go two directions.  Right down a semi-long hall that opens into the kitchen and living room areas or mostly straight ahead down a short hall to the bedrooms and bathrooms. These bookcases are at the end of the longer hallway, along the right-hand wall--I am standing in the living room to take this photo.

In other news...today (Friday) Robert and I have taken the day off to run some annoying errands.  I am taking my car in to the dealer for scheduled maintenance, then we are headed to the dreaded Gigantic Mall of our Beloved Nation so he can finally get his pants hemmed at Nordstrom (he ordered them online and they came, unexpectedly, unhemmed--he can take them to the store for a free hem job).  I want to look at some spring-appropriate shoes (flats) for work while we're at the mall.  I'm sort of awkwardly either an 8.5 or a 9 in the ballet flat style so it would be convenient to actually try them on.  We'll see how much of that either of us have the willingness to deal with.  I might abandon this project early and come home to order some things online anyway, but I can at least imagine that I might do my shopping while I am already physically at the mall.  It might depend on exactly how insanely filled with people the mall is on a Friday.  (We already knew a Saturday was a no-go, hence taking the day off work.)  They have like every freaking store at this mall, so that's not an issue.

No comments: