Saturday, May 16, 2015

Swallows

Not at the Bird Feeder, Though--Saturday, 5/16/15

Robert saw tree swallows at work this week.  His building is next to a pond, and he was able to see the swallows at the pond from the office windows.

I felt like celebrating this sighting with my (barn) swallow top.


Dark blue swallow top (Kohls), $4.00/wear +
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, JCP), $0.42/wear
Pink/blue floral scarf (Target), $2.40/wear +

Now that I have my spreadsheet set up, it's easy to report my (over-) estimated cost per wear for each of my items.  My Goodwill purchased jeans are among my very lowest cost per wear items.  I don't own a lot of jeans, and for much of the year I wear jeans a couple times per week (on the weekend), so that drives the cost per wear down quickly.  Right now I have only 5 items with a lower cost per wear than this pair of jeans.

In other bird sighting news, Robert spotted a gorgeous male American goldfinch in the tree next to our balcony this morning.  He hasn't come into our bird feeder yet, but we were able to get great views as the goldfinch chased off another male goldfinch and chased after a female goldfinch.  (The behavior looked the same to my eyes but I'm willing to assume that his motivations were different.)  A male goldfinch looks really weird when he's facing you head-on.  With all that black above the beak, he reminds me of a guy in a movie wearing a cloak with a huge hood that obscures the face as he chants and prepares to engage in some kind of creepy religious ritual.  But then the goldfinch turns his head and he looks like a perfectly respectable and normal bird again.

No comments: