Saturday, May 9, 2015

Friday at the Mall

Lapin Action--Friday, 5/8/15

With a high of 67 and partly cloudy skies expected, it seemed like a good day to debut my new black denim jacket from Jones New York ($10.62).  Of course I could not resist wearing my French bunny with his J'disapprove expression.  Since denim-with-denim is a thing this spring, I risked the Canada tuxedo by wearing it with (blue) jeans.  And in keeping with this blue/pink/black color scheme, I wore my very old Skechers with the embroidered fish design.  I don't usually talk about my earrings, but I wore a pair of hematite/silver ones that were a gift from my sis and that made me feel all nostalgic.


French bunny top (Macy's)
*Black denim jacket (JNY)+
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, JCP)
Black fish Skechers+

Wearing my Skechers to the mall was appropriate because they are a rare pair of shoes that I bought at the mall--at a mall in the Denver area I went to with Tam a long time ago on a day when the Skechers store happened to be having a crazy-ass sale.  Unfortunately, they aren't as comfortable as they used to be.  They've lost their padding after years of being smashed down and they're just a bit too small--my big toe rubbed against the end of the shoe.  They also started chafing against the heel on the right foot.  After walking around the mall for a couple hours, I was almost a cripple.  So, it's time to say farewell to these old friends.  (Not you, Tam!  Just the shoes!  And the memories of that madhouse sale will never die.)


Luckily, I had struck cute, inexpensive spring shoe gold at the Payless store and the Nordstrom Rack in the mall and brought home (among others to be revealed later) this pair of floral ballet flats with a pink/blue color scheme ($13) that I changed in to when I get back.  Like most standard ballet flats, these are comfortable for sitting around in, but do not have the support for walking any distance--but since I had every intention of sitting around for the rest of the day, that worked just fine.


Our trip to the mall was such a success that even Robert got some new shoes.  He's been saying for a while that he needed to replace his brown leather New Balance shoes, and he has a grey pair that are getting old and losing their comfort when standing/walking a lot.  Unlike me, he doesn't have much motivation toward shopping for shoes online when he's home (somehow, playing Civilization is more fun for him) so needing shoes while we were at the Mega Mall of the US was good timing.  He got good deals on a pair of nice brown Merrell hiking shoes at DSW and the most amazingly soft black Skechers at Nordstrom Rack. 

It was funny--when he tried the Skechers on, he got this look on his face, and I was like, So, do you not like them?  He said, No, it's not that, they feel like your mom's bed.  I said, What?  He said, Feel this, no, better, try it on.  So I put it on and my foot said, Aaaaaaaaahhhhh.  (It said this softly enough that no one else seemed to notice, fortunately.)  The shoes have a super-cushy memory foam footbed.  I was curious whether women's Skechers also have memory foam so we went to the Skechers store and discovered that yep, they do.  Even the ballet flats!  I did not buy any, but I figured out what Mom is getting for Mother's Day this year.  (I called her and told her this when I got home so don't worry that I've ruined the surprise.)

I also got my car serviced and it's all happy now--and clean (they change the windshield wipers and wash your car when you take it in, all part of the service...oh, and they also change your radio station to country music, which is infuriating then confusing as you realize you can't remember the number of the station you usually listen to, but I spent a couple minutes when I got home futzing with it and eventually got it back to the classical station).  The first time I pressed the brakes on the way home it was like, whoa, OK, I'm stopping really fast now.  I guess topping up my brake fluid was a good idea.  Another good idea?  When you car starts telling you it wants to be taken in for service, don't wait two and a half months to do it!

All week, I have had the They Might Be Giants song about James K. Polk stuck in my head.  Well, that's gone now--replaced by "Dancing Queen," which had been playing in the Nordstrom Rack.  Nooooo!!!!  I didn't realize that the Nordstrom Rack in question was a medieval torture device.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Wonderful! When you mentioned those Skechers, I thought, "Wait, aren't those the ones we bought at the mall that one time?" Ah, memories.

Thanks for not throwing me out with the shoes even though I'm kind of flattened out from years of wear.

My VW needed a $2000 brake job after 23K miles. My Honda was getting to the point of probably needing its first brake work of any kind around 90K miles when Ed totaled it. There is something about the Germans and brakes.

Sally said...

Don't worry, Tam, we'll keep plumping you up.

When they asked if I'd like the windshield wipers changed, it made me think of your VW and its elaborate windshield wiper situation.

I will say that the stopping power of my BMW is like nothing I've experienced in another car.

Sally said...

P.S. I love that you also remember the fish Skechers and the mall :)