Monday, May 25, 2015

Life Style Challenge Week 12

On the Holiday--Monday, 5/25/15

A nice weekend outfit with jeans, a scarf, and cute ballet flats seemed right on target for Memorial Day, as did the patriotic color combination.

From s-p-j.polyvore.com

Of course, I didn't stick super close to the inspiration photo, but I got a combination of blue denim, white T-shirt, and red (well, maroon) sweater into the outfit, as well as the magic butterfly scarf.


White short-sleeved T (Lands End), $6.00/wear
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, JCP), $0.33/wear
Drapey maroon cardigan (Coldwater Creek), $3.75/wear
Black butterfly scarf (Kohls), $4.00/wear
*Black floral ballet flats (Payless), $13.00/wear

And these adorable floral ballet flats!  I've been really into dark floral prints this year, so I was glad to add these lovelies to my wardrobe for only $13.



We've regularly had a mourning dove hanging out on our balcony, and its presence has become even greater now that we have a bird feeder.  When I mentioned it to Robert, he said we're probably seeing the male and female doves, who are nesting in a nook of the apartment building next door, coming to eat one at a time.  This morning, I saw TWO doves on the balcony (they eat the bird seed that has been brushed to the ground by smaller birds).  Maybe the doves now have baby doves in their nest instead of eggs, and no longer need to eat in shifts.
 

Of course, Robert had to do me one better and see THREE doves on the balcony later in the morning.   Who knows who that third dove is.

Life Style Challenge Week 11 Review

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 4 days a week
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10 minutes, 2 days a week
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Continue flaxseed oil/cod liver oil regimen
(6)  Identify recipes/ideas for snacks/desserts that can substitute for my old standbys, almond butter and/or dark chocolate

I kicked the ass of Number 3--and strength training always makes me feel like a superhero when I do it, so why don't I do it reliably?  Number 6 is a bitch.  I've made some progress on it, but the task continues this week, too.  Yeah, the whole list this week is a repeat of last week's. 

Life Style Challenge Week 12

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30+ minutes, 4 days a week
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10+ minutes, 2 days a week
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Continue flaxseed oil/cod liver oil regimen
(6)  Identify recipes/ideas for snacks/desserts that can substitute for my old standbys, almond butter and/or dark chocolate

One way I could improve Number 3 is by adding in core exercises, which I hate doing...you know, because they are hard.  Waaaaah!

I haven't added my "take stairs to another bathroom at work" practice to the list officially, but I've been good about doing that. If I wanted to get more ambitious, and if the weather permits, I've been thinking it would be nice at my lunch break to take a short stroll down to the little park area next to the parking lot.  You know how I saw a bunny before work the other day?  I paid special attention on Friday morning to the layout of that stretch of ground and realized that the grassy area with the rabbit is adjacent to the little green park area where the turkeys were hanging out last summer (or whenever that was).  It could make for a nice post-lunch break for fresh air, a stretch of the legs, and a rest for the eyes away from all the damn screens I spend my time looking at.  Maybe it's time to bring back the "health breaks" (alternative to "smoke breaks") that I used to take at an old job.

No comments: