Saturday, May 23, 2015

Let the 3 Day Lazing Commence

Pink and Silver--Saturday, 5/23/15

I loved how the bright pink contrasted against the grey polka dot shirt.  I also just really liked this polka dot shirt in general--the popover style of shirt is really appealing to me, even though I only own a couple of them myself.

From queeninbetween.blogspot.com

I thought my dark grey T with the metallic silver stripes would be a reasonable substitute.  And I was excited to wear my new bright pink ballet flats (from our mall trip a couple weeks ago) for the first time.


Grey metallic striped T (Kohls), $3.40/wear
Bright pink t-shirt knit cardigan (Lands End), $7.50/wear
Bootcut jeans (thrifted, JCP), $0.36/wear
*Bright pink ballet flats (Payless), $13.00/wear
Silver blob necklace (JNY), $2.70/wear

I've decided it's time to up my weekend outfit game.  For one thing, it'll be a lot easier to make it through my wardrobe if I don't default to the same 2 shirts every weekend.  Also, I have a lot of inspiration photos on Pinterest that I would like to get to before the styles shift so dramatically that wearing any of these outfits would make me look like I'm in costume.

Ballet flats better not go out of style any time soon...or I'll just be out of style, I guess, because I am a huge fan.  I've traditionally been more of a Mary Janes person, but in the last couple years, I have found myself more attracted to ballet flats.  Perhaps 25+ years of adhering so strongly to Mary Janes was enough that I was ready for a change.


The master bedroom suite in our apartment is pretty cool.  When you enter the door (which we have propped open with a bunny doorstop we happened to find at Target while looking for something else entirely, like you do, and which I've decorated with my bunny dress that I put there to dry hanging on the overdoor hook and then decided to leave so I could enjoy looking at it), you are facing the master bathroom (mine).  To the right is a short hallway with the walk-in closet on the left (door also propped open), then the bedroom itself.  To the right of the open initial (bunny dress) door, we've hung this ridiculously cute bunny poster.


In other news...Last night I spent 40+ minutes on my exercise bike, then 30 minutes lifting weights.  When I woke up this morning (blissfully, we went to bed at our normal time and woke up at 8, so I felt very well-rested), I was a bit sore in that "I did a bunch of exercise yesterday" way (so much better than the stiff, achy, body inflammation way) but otherwise felt really great.

We finished watching Mockingjay Part 1 last night--we had started it earlier in the week but only watched the first 30 minutes because it was so freaking slow/boring.  Luckily they picked up the pace after the initial stage-setting scenes and I liked the rest of it, though Katniss's guilt-pity-duty-love for Peeta is driving me crazy.  Get over it and get together with Gale now, before everybody is dead.

I have discovered that the fruit crumble recipe I tried a couple weeks ago is better when (1) I use less fruit with the same amount of topping (which is also better for my blood sugar levels) and (2) I cook it then let the flavors meld over night.  I tried it this week with a bag of frozen raspberries (which I thawed using the "run water over them in a colander" method but because I let the water get really hot, it was more like "cook them in a colander" method), and right out of the oven, it was pretty good but not great.  Leftovers the next day were fabulous.  I want to try the recipe with blackberries, with peaches, and maybe with apples (apples are iffy because it's so time-consuming to peel and slice apples compared to using berries or pre-sliced peaches).

Speaking of melding, after going through a cozy mystery phase, then a gothic phase, then a short adventure phase, I started reading a Star Trek (original characters) book yesterday.  

Do you have any plans for the three-day weekend?  I basically don't, which is how I like it.

I confess I've already gotten drawn into Memorial Day sales despite my best intentions.  But they (Kohls.com) have a bright pink/coral T-shirt with a tiger face on it!  And a big owl necklace!  And a navy floral scarf like I've been wanting for a year!  It looks like Jones New York is having a 40% off sale this weekend, which brings many of their sales items down to good prices, but not the awesome prices I'm holding out for.

No comments: