Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I'm Back

I was sick Sunday and Monday, then yesterday our Internet was down.  Boo!  But I'm back now, with Internet, and not sick....though I am completely exhausted.  I had two days with about 5 hours total sleep and it's going to take a while to catch back up.  It would be easier if I could go to bed early but I don't roll that way.

You definitely missed a prize outfit on Monday:  white T-shirt, navy gym pants with jaunty green and white stripes down the sides, Groucho bunny socks.

MMMSC Day 20:  Button Up Top--Tuesday, 5/5/15

After many futile searches, a couple months ago I found a plain white button up shirt at Goodwill that fit and was in good condition (and cost all of $5 or whatever).  Considering how long I'd been looking, and how many full-price shirts of this kind I'd tried, this was a big score for me.  So naturally it then sat in my closet all these weeks.  But it was waiting...waiting for just the right opportunity.  A "button up top" challenge arrived and voila, time to debut the white button up.

Canadian blogger Alecz is a young business professional with an enviable collection of mega-serious statement necklaces, a tendency to wear skirts a bit shorter than I'm comfortable in, and a refreshing habit of wearing clothes from previous seasons (minimizing that OMG that's cute must buy! reaction that I sometimes have to tamp down when I read other blogs).  This is a pretty typical outfit for her.

From forsevenseasons.wordpress.com

I think my rendition stays true to the "green bottoms/white button up/blue statement necklace" aspect of her outfit, while incorporating a more casual, bright knit blazer, in place of her ultra-professional brown blazer, for a happy spring look.


*White button up shirt (thrifted, Kohls)+
Green pants (JCP)+
Blue polka dot knit blazer (Target)+
Blue/green statement necklace (Target)+
Blue pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)+

I also like how the blue/green/white color scheme of my outfit is reflected in my (somewhat quieter) statement necklace.  (Plus: polka dots can't lose.)  My officemate said she liked my necklace, then asked if I had designed the outfit around it.  When you get asked a question like that, it's like you've been nominated as mayor of Matchy Town, and that's OK with me.


I'm really enjoying these green pants this spring, and with their tapered leg, I think they look particularly great with pointy-toed flats.  Without socks even!


Of course I managed to get specks of chocolate on both the shirt and the pants, but I think a dosing of Shout and a wash will fix the problem. 

I was amused to see Kishina rocking her own version of the green pants + white top + polka dot blazer this week, too!  (Thrifted polka dots rule the school.  I think her jacket is the cousin of my white Dress Barn jacket with the black and pink floral print, also thrifted.)

From kishinaskurvykorner.blogpost.com

Verdict:  That was fun, but it's kind of nice to be at the end of the MMM Style Challenge.  Tomorrow I'll be introducing a new sort of Reverse Inspirations game.

In other news....our bird feeder is attracting new species of visitors this week.  We'd seen a female cardinal over the weekend, and today the male appeared as well.  He picked up a peanut off the balcony and held it up in his beak--the female came over and grabbed it from him.  I thought this looked like food stealing at first, but I think Robert's right that it's mating behavior.  We also had a common grackle this evening.  I know, the idea of being excited by a grackle is funny, but we really don't see them very often in Coldville, and any new species of bird to the feeder is exciting to me.

4 comments:

Tam said...

Lately I've seen a blue jay (maybe the same one) around my complex nearly every day, as well as one or more cardinals. (I hear cardinals all the time but don't usually see them as often as I have been lately.)

jen said...

Hmmmm, Rick spotted a turkey at his work. And we saw an eagle a couple weeks ago.

Also I have to comment on the fact that you mentioned two different outfits that were white, blue, and green, both of which look/sound fun and spring-like. I could have worn the gym pants version today, it was Workout Wednesday. I wore yoga pants :)

Debbie said...

Enhancing both the shirt and the pants with chocolate is really going above and beyond the call in your quest to be mayor of Matchy Town. And all without even trying.

**

I have also noticed a male blue jay and a male cardinal recently. I have not actually noticed grackles (though I'm sure they're around) except for here: http://austinitetips.com/grackles/. "...grackles emit nature’s version of a car alarm. It’s loud, piercing, and unceasing. ... Grackles basically never stop yelling. Ever. They’re the bird equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church."

Sally said...

Tam, take a moment to give yourself credit for knowing a cardinal when you hear one.

Jen, turkeys at work are fun (as long as they're not your co-workers). Yoga pants to work--good times :)

Debbie, I even managed to get chocolate on the left leg of my pants and the right side of my shirt for balance. Jeez.

Yes, male birds are doing their best to be noticeable right now. You are not the females they are trying to attract but so it goes.