Thursday, May 14, 2015

She's Hip

More Butterflies--Thursday, 5/14/15

Here is another of those "cute but pretty basic with a major pop of color in the giant handbag" outfits, brought to you by Tara, who features office work outfits all the time--and she often features skirts that do not ride up to your crotch when you sit down (thanks, Tara!). I was initially going to do a skirt look with this but decided to change things up once I started getting putting it on because it's expected to be a cooler week.  It was raining today so I was glad of the extra cover.

From mixmatchfashion.com

Skirt becomes pants, bright pink migrates from purse to cardigan, colorful print moves from shoes to scarf, and there it is.  I'm very happy with how it turned out.  My hips are all, Don't worry, son, I got this.


*Navy and white star blouse (Kohls)+
Navy pants (Dockers)+
Bright pink drape cardigan (Macy's)+
Butterfly scarf (Kohls)+
Blue pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom)

Of course, this butterfly scarf is like a magic sauce that improves every outfit I wear it with.


My scarf coordinates with my Wall o' Matisse in our long hallway, so it makes sense that I would adore it.


In other news....I saw a male red-winged blackbird come into the bird feeder when I got home.  Yay for icterids! (That's fancy-ass for blackbirds.) 

On my way home, about a block from my apartment, I saw a guy walking his dog.  And my god, it was like the tiniest little dachsund in the world...wearing a tiny little yellow raincoat with a hood.  OMG.  A person could die of this cuteness.

This afternoon, I got to tell my officemate after she returned from a meeting that she had missed J. K. (a dude I didn't know) when he came by.  She said, "Oh good!"  We both started laughing and she was like, I really didn't mean to say that out loud.  It sounds like this guy is an odd duck...only not as cool and interesting as an actual duck, of course.  He has a PhD (in some social science-y field) but has never had a job--he was a house husband and was the primary child carer in his household but now his kids are grown up.  (The guy looked to be in his late 50's, I thought.)  He has done a lot of volunteer work in the schools, and one form this takes is that the high school his kids attended lets him do a survey of students every year, from which he creates a huge, sprawling report that he hands around to everyone, the mere idea of which fills people like my officemate with dread.  (This guy is not up on the idea of the executive summary or any other way of distinguishing between main findings and details, apparently.  I get the sense he is likes to pontificate at length.)  It seems sad that this person has not found a way to channel his energies, and apply his education/skills, in some useful endeavor.  (Note that my officemate could not guarantee that the school did not find some helpful nuggets in his reports, but that idea presupposes that anyone could force herself to read the whole thing, which is apparently a doubtful proposition.)

Meanwhile, I spent all day being pleased that I wasn't feeling horribly sick like I was last night.  And tomorrow is Friday.  So, good times, people!

No comments: