Sunday, May 10, 2015

Life Style Challenge Week 10


Sorry, I was sick last weekend and missed updating you with my Week 9 challenge.  It was much like previous weeks, only I didn't do my flaxseed oil last week (still too sick) but I did find FOUR new paleo recipes from my cookbooks.  The store didn't have the ingredients for one of them, so I had three.  I made one of them already (a delicious blueberry crumble...too delicious, really) and I have two more to go--wilted spinach with pine nuts and golden raisins; a chocolate "cake" made in the slow cooker (too crazy not to try).

Life Style Challenge Week 10:

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (T, Th, Sat--though this often gets pushed to W, F, Sun lately, which is perfectly OK)
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10 minutes, 2 days a week
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Restart flaxseed oil regimen AGAIN and add cod liver oil
(6)  Make wilted spinach and chocolate "cake" recipes

I'm not putting any hard numbers on the flaxseed/cod liver oil intake because whether I can handle it is very dependent on how my stomach/digestive system is feeling.  I don't know if I've mentioned, but I'm adding cod liver oil for the vitamin D, though apparently it has other benefits too.  I'll just take it when I feel I can, and push myself to be serious about it and not wimp out just because I don't wanna do it.  (I did it yesterday but not this morning.)  I'm kind of motivated to do it during the work week because it's faster than eating normal breakfast and it helps reduce my appetite during the day while I'm at work.  On flax days, I have a "second breakfast" of hard boiled egg, then a normal lunch, though lunch is usually later than on non-flax days.  I like having a later lunch because it makes the afternoon (i.e., the time between lunch and going home from work) so short.

Have you added any healthful habits to your lifestyle lately?  If so, how's it going?  If not, are there any that you've been considering?

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, quite a silence in response to this question. I think Tam mentioned trying synthetic thyroid that was making a difference.

I have added getting up and walking instead of sitting all day long to my lifestyle. I also was jogging for a while, but not the past few weeks.

Sometime in the near future I want to do more weight training/resistance exercise and eat more vegetables, but currently I'm mostly still relishing doing whatever I want for a while.

Sally said...

Getting up and walking (instead of sitting at my desk all day) is something I struggle with.

Debbie said...

Ah, I have a couple of suggestions for that. 1) Drink a lot of water; then you may have to get up to empty your bladder a lot. 2) Make it a habit to do some walking whenever you're going to the bathroom such as walking around the building, running up and down the stairs once, or going to the farthest bathroom.

What I'm doing now is scheduling three 1-mile walks most days. By "scheduling" I really just mean keeping in mind that I want to get three of these walks in, so I try to do one in the morning, one in the early afternoon and one in the late afternoon.

When I was working, I also liked to talk to people in person instead of e-mailing if it was something easy that wouldn't be improved with a written record. And I'd volunteer to go to other people's offices for trainings. (Actually I'd say they could come to my office if they wanted a break from interruptions or we could go to their office so they could practice on their own computer and if they didn't care, I'd volunteer to come over). There was another job duty we could volunteer for called "running grades" which involved walking all around campus and so I enjoyed volunteering for that.

Sally said...

I like the idea of making regular bathroom visits into mini-treks/exercise opportunities. That would be easy to do.

A university campus is such a great workplace for getting a bit of exercise in. I don't like to volunteer to go to someone else's office because we're split up across 5 different buildings all over town so it's a major pain in the ass.

Debbie said...

Yes, driving to someone's office, or even slogging through the snow to it, is not ideal!