Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Year End Countdown

MMMSC Day 18:  Color Block #2--Wednesday, 4/29/15

Today's inspiration photo is a bit different.  Instead of making an outfit on the basis of a photo, I created an outfit first, then looked for a photo of how someone else created a similar look.  If one doesn't want to get too particular about a belief in linear time, one could characterize this as a reverse inspiration: my outfit influenced someone in the past to wear something like it.  Or, you know, maybe we're just doing the same kind of outfit because of the zeitgeist.  (I like the backwards causality explanation better, of course.)

Here's how Alice rocked a black dress, black tights, black ankle boots, and a blue jacket.

From happinessatmidlife.com


Here's how I did...because I really wanted to wear this nifty colorblock jacket that I bought at the big Jones New York jacket/blazer sale for $22.25.  (I loved getting all these great deals but I'm sad they're going out of business--I love that company.)


*Black short-sleeved dress (thrifted, Target)+
*Blue/black/white colorblock jacket (JNY)+
Black tights
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman

It was also a good opportunity to wear yet another black dress that I bought at Goodwill.  I don't even want to count how many black dresses I've bought there, but it's got to be at least five.  It's definitely ridiculous.  I think it's getting to be time to decide which of them I want to keep and which of them I want to donate back--indeed, this idea inspired me to edit out two of my least favorite ones just now.  Yes!

This one I like and it fits quite well, but it has two issues.  (1) It has a somewhat rough texture so little balls of fuzz stick to it in a "this dress could have inspired the invention of Velcro" kind of way, particularly on the top half (which is conveniently covered by the jacket in this instance).  (2) It's too short to wear without tights.  It's borderline too short to wear with tights to work but I did it anyway.  (This might very well be my last tights of the season!  It's going to be 75-80 F for the rest of the week and into the weekend, they tell us.  We'll see.)  After wearing it, I discovered a third issue: (3) the V neck is too low to wear without coverage.  Three strikes and you're out.  Goodbye, dress.  It's too bad because I liked the way it fit and it had pockets.

Anyway, nobody's going to notice the dress because the jacket is so spectacular.  It doesn't hurt that this shade of blue is a terrific color on me.  I was so happy about getting this jacket that I decided to do Day 18: Color Block of the style challenge twice.


Verdict:  I was glad to be wearing a jacket and tights today because I was in a 3 hour meeting in a quite cool conference room downstairs.  I also was sneezing (in my office, which is warmer) because the Coldville/Snow City area is the #3 top pollen location in the country right now.  WTF?  I guess it's really spring.

In other news....every week I slightly increase my probability estimate for keeping my job past the end of our fiscal year on June 30.  Two more months!  I'm feeling pretty good about things at the moment in the sense that my hopes are on a slow upward climb but also I've just adjusted to the idea for now.  I would love to take credit for my more chill attitude on realizing that there's no use in worrying about it, but it's not like that argument has ever worked for me before.  It's more that I'm just embracing the seeming normalcy of my work environment and staying focused on just moving forward as though everything really is going to be just fine in my department.  I really am hoping that I'll have reason to celebrate on July 1, though.

And let me just say that I'm glad it's not now the end of October with me trying to ride out the uncertainty at work until December 30.  That is not how I want to spend the holidays.  I can endure Flag Day Eve and Flag Day in my current state, though.

A to Z Blogging Challenge Day 25: Y is for Year End Countdown

No comments: