Sunday, April 26, 2015

Life Style Challenge Update Plus

An interesting discussion of whether it's appropriate to wear sleeveless tops/dresses (without a covering layer) to your business casual or business professional office--and does this answer depend on what your arms look like?  Additional commentary on leg size and skirt length. I'm not convinced this justifies anything, but one commenter does make the point that bigger legs = more "SKIN" at a given skirt length, which is one (not entirely prejudicial) reason that short skirts could look less professional on larger women (because "SKIN" = not professional).  A couple other people comment that at their skinny/bony size, they feel that e.g., tops that show their collarbones make them feel more exposed than they think a person of a larger size is in the same garment (because bones = "here's my body" = unprofessional).  I remain of the opinion that sleeveless tops and short skirts (more than a couple inches above the knee) are not appropriate for the professional/office work place no matter what your size.

A very body-positive plus-size blogger with an extensive cute-ass wardrobe starts exercising for health and loses some weight as an unintentional side effect--now she's dealing with ill-fitting clothes and an identity crisis.  Weight loss isn't always all fun and games (even when it comes with improved health rather than a health problem).

 Life Style Challenge Week 7 Review:

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (T, Th, Sat)
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10 minutes, 2 days a week (W, F--or after cardio)
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Pick a new paleo recipe for next week 

I not only picked my new recipe but I made it, and it was fab.  An Italian sausage soup with stewed tomatoes, onion, and bell peppers, cooked in the slow cooker.  It was confusing because the photo in the cookbook showed a smoked or Kielbasa type sausage instead of Italian sausage, but I made it with Italian sausage as indicated in the recipe (you cut the links into disks/chunks and brown them on the stovetop before putting in the slow cooker) and that turned out well.  It's similar to a recipe my mom gave me but I like it better because bell peppers > zucchini in this context--I never liked how the zucchini breaks down when you cook it and seeds to get everywhere.

When I'm not feeling too lazy to go find my cookbook, I'll post the recipe here.

 Life Style Challenge Week 8:

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (T, Th, Sat)
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10 minutes, 2 days a week (W, F--or after cardio)
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Restart flaxseed oil regimen (SIGH)

I've known for a while that I want to start taking supplemental oil to fight inflammation (which has slowly gotten worse since I stopped) but I haven't because (a) yuck, (b) the digestive drama of re-adjusting to it, and (c) perfect being the enemy of the good.  By (c) I am referring to reading I've done lately of the superiority of a krill oil/cod liver oil combo for boosting omega-3 and vitamin D (both of which I need).  But I don't have any krill oil or cod liver oil, and I've been kind of scared about the whole "restarting the oil thing and my stomach freaking out and I can't miss work" element that has accompanied the end-of-the-quarter reporting cycle the last couple weeks.  But now that I'm done with and have been appropriately lauded for all those reports, this is a week where I could call in sick/go home early if my digestion rebels against the onslaught of oil.  So I'm going to jumpstart this whole thing with the flaxseed oil I already have, and think about trying a different oil combination once my body settles down into this routine.  It starts on Monday.  Wish me luck.

I can't believe I forgot to show the cool watch I wore on Friday with my puffy vest outfit.  The J. Crew styling included a big gold-faced watch but instead I wore my new (Life Style Challenge Week 6 reward) watch:


Yes, a bunny.  It is the Nerdy Bunny watch from Charming Charlie, and it looks exactly like me (well, only being a plastic bunny-shaped watch instead of a living human).  I too have gold cateye glasses.

Burberry B1249 in champagne

Although I do not have gold-colored ears, I have gold-colored hair that matches the color of my glasses.  I have a round shaped, pale (if not actually white) face.  And time-telling is one of my superpowers.  So there you go.

I saw a woman on a blog wearing a bunny watch from Charming Charlie, and when I went to their site, discovered that they sell four different bunny watches (!!!!)--the nerdy bunny was the obvious choice for me.

2 comments:

Tam said...

That watch is super cute.

I'm trying flax oil rather than krill/code liver because I'm not finding the latter in an edible form (vs. capsules) and I know from experience that I won't take pills regularly (except for my morning pills that I do have to take and which can't be taken with food).

Sally said...

Right, I've seen the oil form of cod and krill recommended but have sort of despaired of finding it available to buy. The number of pills you have to take to equal even 1 T. of oil is ridiculous.