Saturday, April 4, 2015

Ducks Diet Diversity DreamGirls Drawings

This morning, Robert and I went birding at the state park that is less than 15 minutes from our new apartment.  The weather was absolutely perfect.  For the first half of our outing, my dark green fleece with shell kept me just the right temperature, and when I took that off, a T-shirt and long-sleeved top kept me just the right temperature.  This might sound trivial, but really, it's kind of astonishing.  We saw a good number of bird species (28), including several types of duck.  (We were hiking on a little island between the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers.)  I think my favorite duck sighting was a bufflehead with a brilliantly white (and black) plumage, but I also enjoyed the wood ducks.  (We also saw a wood ptarmigan, a wood owl, a wood hawk, a wood crane, a wood rabbit, a wood dragon head, and other pieces of driftwood in the shape of animals but the wood duck was an actual living bird.)  I'm still adjusting to the fact that ducks are a migratory bird here, not a winter bird--though seeing the river outside our apartment completely frozen over as recently as last month did help reinforce the rationale behind this behavior.

Also some links for your weekend reading enjoyment:

Diet: The effectiveness of the paleo diet, a new research study.

Diversity: Dealing with strongly gendered corporate dress codes.

DreamGirls:  A new sort of lifestyle pixie dream girl and her detractors.

Drawings:  Good stuff, especially for feminist pug lovers.

(Thanks to Tam for the paleo diet article and to the Lovely Links at Already Pretty for the other three.)

A to Z Challenge Day 4: D is for Ducks, Diet, Diversity, DreamGirls, and Drawings

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I am still pretending I am the opposite of diabetic; therefore I can easily assume that the paleo study may not apply to me.

The Diversity article is fascinating. Right away I thought that I could not work there. I identify as fem, but do not like to wear high heels at all. But if I did work there and dress like that anyway for some reason and I saw the author, I feel quite sure I would immediately buy some ties and make the switch, mostly to be more comfortable but also to be in solidarity.

Sally said...

Debbie, it would be interesting to know if any co-workers who identify as fem do decide to start dressing that way, at least some of the time.

Debbie said...

Definitely.