Saturday, April 18, 2015

Progress Project

I made good progress on the Life Style Challenge this week.  I still need to exercise tonight, but otherwise, I've completed all the tasks.

Life Style Challenge Week 6 Review:

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (T, Th, Sat)
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10 minutes, 2 days a week (W, F--or after cardio)
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Pick a new paleo recipe for next week

Not only did I find a new paleo recipe, I made it and it was actually pretty good!  It's a recipe for cookies made from shredded coconut, sweetened with maple syrup, and flavored with cocoa and walnuts.  They turned out a little less sweet than I would have liked, but otherwise tasty.

This week looks identical to last week by design.  The length of one standard American "hour long" TV episode without commercials is about 43 minutes, so that's how long I typically go.  But 43 minutes x 3 days a week is 2 hours and 9 minutes...getting close to the general recommendation of 2.5 hours per week.

Life Style Challenge Week 7:

(1)  No bread, no pasta, no rice
(2)  Cardio exercise for 30 minutes, 3 days a week (T, Th, Sat)
(3)  Strength training exercise for 10 minutes, 2 days a week (W, F--or after cardio)
(4)  Average 2 or fewer Triscuits per day
(5)  Pick a new paleo recipe for next week 

I have also been doing another big closet clean-out.  So far I've tried on and made decisions about all my dresses, shirts, and skirts.  Pants, sweaters, and jackets I haven't done yet.  I have filled a bunch of bags with items to take to Goodwill and my closet is looking a little bit more reasonable (a bit).  Going through my wardrobe, and looking at the new items I've ordered recently from the crazy Jones New York sale, I decided that it's time to revisit the wardrobe database project I had considered months ago--this time, to support my new personal wardrobe challenge.

I'm tired of forgetting about the things I have (and holding on to things I maybe don't really like enough) so my new challenge, starting on Monday, is the Work the Wardrobe Challenge. 

Let me explain first by way of analogy.  In the birding world, among people who are into keeping lists of bird sightings (life lists, state lists, etc.), one type of list is the year list--the goal is to record how many species you see during the year (usually the calendar year).  I've decided to flip this around a bit because even in Coldville, it doesn't really make sense to try to maximize the number of clothing items you wear in a year.  (And any such goal would reinforce my tendencies toward extraneous shopping, and I don't need the help.) 

Instead, my goal is that by April 19, 2016, I will have worn everything I own at least once.

To many, perhaps all of you, this will sound crazy--like having the goal to chew my food this week with my teeth, i.e., not much of a challenge.  But I own enough clothes/shoes/accessories that it's easy to overlook certain items, and it makes me a big disappointed at the end of a season to realize that I hadn't gotten around to wearing something that's now too hot/cold/whatever for the new weather. 

I am not going on a shopping ban or anything like that.  I am perfectly free to add to and subtract from my wardrobe as I desire.  But I hope that this goal will push me into the back of the closet rather than grabbing whatever has just come off the drying rack.

I'm going to keep track of my wardrobe items and what I wear when in a simple Excel spreadsheet.  I've decided that what I want to record is just not complicated enough to warrant the up-front time sink of developing an Access database and data entry forms for.  So far I've added most of my dresses and all of my skirts to the spreadsheet.  Keeping track of things will give me some new data to geek out over, which is always fun.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

That sounds like a useful challenge to wear all your clothes at least once during the following year. However, I wouldn't want to do it. Hmm, what would happen at the end of a season? Would I realize that I just don't like certain things enough to actually wear them and get rid of them? Or would I just hastily wear things inappropriately in order to make sure they got worn? I suspect the latter!

It's hard to imagine even recording all of my wardrobe items in a spreadsheet. And I have basically nothing compared to you!

What are you recording? One column for the clothing item and one for the first date you wear it?

Sally said...

The key for me is that getting rid of an item is the equivalent of wearing it, so if I find myself resistant to wearing something, I have an easy out. I generally don't have a problem getting rid of clothes--it's more an issue of managing the in-flow and out-flow appropriately.

I'm not sure what the best spreadsheet layout will end up being, but right now I have several columns for the clothing item (category, color, description, brand, etc.) and have started a column for each date (which I can use to flag that I wore something). Excel 2010 has a maximum of 16,384 columns per spreadsheet so I'm not worried about that constraint. I thought I would like having the extra data for identifying items worn most often, seasonality issues, etc. It would be great to have price as well to look at cost per wear so maybe that's something I can record for future purchases or estimate for ones that are recent/memorable. (I have flagged thrifted items, which can be a proxy for price.)

Sally said...

If I wanted to get really crazy with the cost per wear calculation, I could estimate the number of wears prior to the start of this challenge by reviewing my old blog posts/photos. A pretty high proportion of my wardrobe has been purchased in the last couple years. We'll see.

I don't photograph my weekend outfits usually but I do not need to calculate cost per wear of my Cuddle Bunny t-shirt or my weekend jeans, nor be concerned that I won't wear them. I'll be wearing that stuff into the ground.

Sally said...

Note that I do have some specialty items that I am not including in the challenge. I would thrilled if I kept my job and did not have to wear my interview suit for example!

Debbie said...

Interesting. Lots of data!

Good idea to exclude specialty items. Now you won't be tempted to wear them inappropriately!