Friday, April 17, 2015

Old Navy Favorite

MMMSC Day 17: Old Navy Favorites--Friday, 4/17/15

This is a tougher challenge than it should be because of how often I try to buy something from Old Navy but it doesn't work out because the garment turns out to be 2 sizes too small in one dimension and 1 size too big in another.  But there is one Old Navy item (which I bought at Goodwill) that deserved to be called a "favorite"--my white with black stripes button up shirt.

My inspiration for this look comes from one of the ensemble suggestions on You Look Fab, a website to which I was introduced by Debbie and which quickly became a go-to (a "favorite" if you will).  Of course, the items and outfits on You Look Fab are much more modern and stylish than what I typically wear, but I enjoyed the opportunity to put a more Sally-esque casual/classic/thrift-store spin on one of Angie's ensembles.  She called this one "Flared Jeans with a Crisp Touch." 

From youlookfab.com

My first thought was to pair my striped button up with my magenta blazer, but the cotton woven fabric of the shirt bunched oddly under the knit blazer (which I'd also forgotten had 3/4 length sleeves) and it wasn't as bright a pink as in the inspiration photo--a color I really wanted to include in my outfit.  So I tried it with a very plain cardigan in a knit fabric that is thicker than a typical T-shirt but thinner than a typical sweatshirt.  It was a bit awkward at first working with the woven-under-T-shirt thing, but after a bit of arranging everything, it looked all right.  Then I tried rolling up the sleeves to show off the striped cuffs and I was happy.

I took the gold color on the sunglasses and put them on my necklace, and I chose the grey ankle boots directly from the visual, and there you have it: me in an outfit that I could not photograph very well. (I kept changing my mind about how much of the cardigan to button; in the end, I ended up buttoning all but the bottom button.)
 

Trouser jeans (thrifted, JCP)
Bright pink t-shirt cardigan (Lands End)
Black striped button up shirt (thrifted, Old Navy)
Grey ankle boots by Seychelles
Gold shelled pea necklace (Target)

And Robert came to my rescue by fixing my necklace that (woo, high Target quality!) apparently came apart (without my noticing it) the last time I removed it.  When I took the necklace back out from the storage case, I couldn't even figure out what was wrong with it--it's like, there's this extra chain here and I don't understand what it is and where it should go and how the hell did this even happen.  I did, however, identify the correct tool for Robert to use to fix it (needle nosed pliers)--must be all that adventure game playing I do with my mom that allows me to figure out what tool I need.


Verdict: Another warm day in Coldville, so I dumped the cardigan after lunch. 

Man, I am so glad it's the weekend!  I had a good week, but I'm tired.

A to Z Challenge Day 15: O is for Old Navy Favorite

No comments: