Friday, April 24, 2015

Umbrellas

MMMSC Day 13: Fab Flats--Thursday, 4/23/15

I have many pairs of fab flats, but one that I haven't worn in while is a pair of soft grey flats with a black ribbon across them.  I thought the grey flats with a black cap toe in this inspiration photo was a pretty good match, so I decided to do my own take on the rest of her outfit as well.

From modern1modesty.blogspot.com

Oddly, I couldn't settle on a blue patterned top that I liked with the microcheck skirt I had selected, so I substituted a black patterned top with a bit of cobalt blue in the design.  At first I thought I liked my shirt better with the plain grey skirt I've worn it with before, but in the end, I think I prefer it this way--and after leaving this pencil skirt to languish unworn in my closet for so many months, I have some catching up to do.  (Also, the figure-hugging nature of this pencil skirt makes it a great thing to wear with a voluminous upper half like this drapey cardigan.)


Black/white/blue blouse (Kohls)+
Cobalt blue cardigan (Lands End)+
Microcheck pencil skirt (JCP)+
Grey tights+
Grey flats with black ribbon by Louise et Cie+
Blue bead necklace by RB+

See how snazzy these shoes are?  I'm not sure I've worn them with grey tights before...or at least not for a while, but I like the effect.


Verdict: Yep, it's definitely still tights season this week. 

Bonus link:  I enjoyed This Is What Plus-Size Clothes Look Like on Plus-Sized Women (thanks, Tam).  The amusing commentary by the two women in question is very much on point.

I have umbrellas on the brain right now because of the rainy weather that's coming up--April showers, that should be a thing.  Astonishingly, I still have my orange and green dragonfly umbrella that looks like a Tiffany lamp, if that makes sense--I'd show it to you but I'm too lazy to go down to the car and photograph it.  Hah, I tried googling "dragonfly umbrella" and it popped right up.  Thanks, Internet!



I got it at Zilker Botanical Gardens a very long time ago.  I sort of can't believe I held on to it this long but (a) I absolutely prize it so I take care to hold on to it and (b) it's so distinctive, none of my co-workers etc. have dared to steal it from me!  The umbrellas that have lasted in my household are this beauty and a freebie Houston Astros/HEB umbrella Robert and I got at a game. 

A to Z Blogging Challenge Day 21: U is for Umbrellas

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Love that umbrella.

And wow, that's an interesting link. How do they get those clothes to look like that on the models?

Even being my own size I've learned that a) black clothing does not photograph well and b) the pictures cheat with the opacity of the clothing--almost nothing looks see-through in the pictures even when it's tissue-paper thin.

Sally said...

The magical combination of Spanx and Photoshop (and near-perfect models)?