Saturday, April 25, 2015

Versatile Vest Variety Victory

MMMSC Day 12: J. Crew Inspired--Friday, 4/24/15

I don't think I own a single J. Crew garment.  Their stuff seems to be over-priced for the quality, according to...well...basically everyone, but especially in my reading, the Capitol Hill Style blog.  So I've never bought anything from them, not even the cheaper J. Crew Factory line, and I haven't found any of their stuff at the thrift store (perhaps because it all falls apart first?).

But I am familiar with the idea of J. Crew as the originator of trendy styling practices, so I went to Pinterest in search of something to use with my decidedly non-J. crew wardrobe.  Aha, a puffy bright pink vest--we are in business.

From archimedes16.polycore.com

I don't own a gingham shirt--OMG style blogger FAIL--but I'm of the opinion that any classic pattern will do, such as my beloved stripes.  Here we go with my late-spring version of a several years old J. Crew outfit, worn with trouser jeans that sorta tap into the current popularity of flared jeans (or so I tell myself).


Pink/purple/green striped button up shirt (thrifted, Bass)+
Cream cashmere pullover sweater (Macy's)+
Bright pink puffy vest (thrifted, Casual Corner)+
Trouser jeans (thrifted, JCP)+
Leopard smoking slippers by Clarks+

With an expected high of 59 F, this outfit was kind of pushing it, weather-wise, but I figured, What the hell--that's the advantage of layers, right?  You artfully devise an outfit that looks and feels great and then you start removing items until you're left with something awkward, boring, or worse (e.g., just wearing a shirt you kept despite the fact that it has a mustard stain on the front because "it will look fine if I wear it under a sweater"--sucker!).

Verdict: I'm glad that I zipped the sleeves off this puffy jacket to turn it into a vest.  It feels a lot more versatile that way, and from a purely practical perspective, it's nice to not have to deal with the tightness in the arms that accompanied my wearing the jacket with anything more than a single light layer.  Sweater vests, quilted vests, puffy ski-style vests--I'm really liking vests as a layering piece this year.  And I'm glad to catch this one for my Work the Wardrobe challenge before it migrates for the summer the weather is too warm to make it at all a plausible garment to wear.  I was actually comfortable in all my layers until about 3 p.m., when I took off the vest.

As for the puffy jacket I (sorta) destroyed to make this vest, I've kept the arms in case I want to re-attach them, but seriously, I've moved on.  For under $35 I was able to get a super nice replacement lightweight puffer at the Jones New York sale that is a bit longer and a bit looser (to better accommodate fall and winter layers).  It's also black--perhaps not my first choice for a casual coat/jacket but it's certainly a useful color that is the Official Puffy Jacket Color of the Snow City/Coldville metroplex.  I also discovered on a recent wearing that it is reversible--the side I've been wearing is quilted but the other side might be rain-resistant (I have not tried it yet).  And if I keep checking Goodwill, I'll find another colorful replacement for this pink jacket that I bought at Goodwill to begin with.  Jackets are quite abundant at local thrift stores--not as insanely ubiquitous as fleece (in all seasons), but readily available in a good variety.

In other news...I had the strange experience at work on Friday of being asked to come to a meeting just so everybody could tell me how awesome these reports I put together for them were.  A small victory, but I'll count it nonetheless.

I still don't know what's going on with my job situation, though in a recent meeting some people were discussing the fact (of which I had not been completely aware) that our counterparts in the Snow City organization had all been laid off effective July 1 and everyone had to reapply for the (fewer?) jobs that will exist in the department in the new fiscal year--this is the way that the organizations have to operate given the pure seniority basis of layoffs by union rules.  My manager said something like, That's a really tough situation for all of them and I'm glad we aren't facing that.  So I don't know what that means exactly, but I can't help think it's a small ray of hope.  Because you know, they're just going to lay me off (the lowest seniority person) and be done with it...or maybe something less dire.

A to Z Blogging Challenge Day 22: V is for Versatile Vest Variety Victory

No comments: