Thursday, April 16, 2015

Nothing

MMMSC Day 4: Floral Print--Thursday, 4/16/15

The floral print/stripes pattern mix is hugely popular.  I could have created an entire Pinterest board just from outfits with this combo (but instead have left them in my One Huge Pinterest Outfit Board to Rule Them All, which is of course utter chaos).  I decided to use this one as my inspiration today because I have pieces that match it pretty well. 

From glamradar.com
Black and white striped shorts are with minimal integrity loss turned into a black and white striped skirt.  The black/blue/pink floral jacket is a pretty good match for my black/blue/purple/yellow Monet watercolor floral tuxedo jacket--which is not properly floral but seems very floral to me.  I could have tried a chambray button up shirt but I didn't love the look of it here, and I think the feel of the stiff fabric would be even worse, so I switched it out for an aqua blue T that works well with the blue of the jacket.  I took the opportunity to try my new yellow necklace--did you know yellow is a hot trend for spring?  (That's what the Internet tells us.  So are flared jeans--yay!  So is denim on denim--boo!  So is some particular kind of purse--snooze.)

Well, the final product is quite a bit different but I liked it.

But wait, you can actually get a decent idea of what this outfit looks like, what gives?  I enlisted Robert as my photographer because this jacket just will not cooperate at all when I put my hands up for a photo (I mean, even less than my outfits normally do, which is not much).


"Monet" watercolor floral tuxedo jacket (thrifted, Target)
Black and white striped knit pencil skirt (thrifted, Target)
Aqua T (thrifted, Kohls)
Black tights
Black wedges (thrifted)
*Yellow necklace (Kohls)

I was irritated that I was not able to wear the first top I selected because the "infamously tight Target arms" problem struck again--only this time, it was the forearms that were too tight because the lining in the sleeves was kind of loose and messed up and taking up way too much of the space in there (which was a weird experience because my forearms are the skinniest part of my body relative to my overall size, so sleeves are never too tight there).  I had to switch to a short-sleeved T and it wasn't quite as dark as the long-sleeved one.  I mean, it's fine, but I sort of preferred the darker tone.  Luckily the yellow necklace is a highlighter/neon shade that stands out just fine against the paler aqua.


Once I figured out the secret to tights (size up!), I have found wearing tights with a skirt to be more comfortable than wearing the skirt with bare legs.  I'm going to eke out the tight-wearing season as long as I can.


Verdict: OK, as it turns out, these tights were kind of annoying in the segmented worm way today.  They felt fine at first but slowly started to roll down, dig in, and basically cause me irritation.  Bah.  It's like they never make tights long enough in the waist.  I can get leggings that work fine but tights are so tricky.

I'm feeling good but kind of tired tonight so I feel like I've got nothing on the whole alphabet blogging challenge thing.  Oh wait.  Perfect.

A to Z Challenge Day 14:  N is for Nothing

2 comments:

mom said...

You may not like the lighter blue, but I like the whole outfit, especially the Monet jacket. I love Monet. I also liked the way the yellow necklace helped to tie all the colors together.

Sally said...

Thanks, I'm glad you approve!