Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Gold Grand Budapest Hotel Gone Girl Gums

MMMSC Day 23: Winter White--Tuesday, 4/7/15

So, maybe it's cheating to try wearing "winter white" in the spring...or is it?  Actually, it's pretty much perfectly suited to my sartorial time confusion.

A leopard skirt with black, white/cream, and gold?  I'm on it.

From alexawebb.polyvore.com

I waffled on the whole blazer idea (because I was already wearing a sweater) until I came up with a business-casual-in-Coldville compromise: a black quilted vest.  Suddenly everything came together.


Leopard skirt (Kohls)
Cream pullover sweater (Kohls)
Black quilted vest (gift from Mom)
*Gold tassel necklace (Kohls)
Black tights
Black wedges (thrifted)

Winter white is a rather confusing concept (even when you don't take the out-of-season aspect into account) but as best I can tell (using the power of the Internet), it's just white with a slightly yellowish tinge.  So...like cream or ivory, perhaps?  Well, I say, It's April and I'll wear whatever season of white I want to wear.  So there.

It was nifty to own a long gold necklace similar to the one in the inspiration photo, and it worked perfectly with the vest.  I hope tassels stay in style for a while...though who am I kidding?  I'll keep wearing long after all the cool kids have stopped.


Verdict:  I'm glad I was wearing my snow boots to work (and to the dentist) because it was crazy chilly outside.  It was like 40 degrees when I left work but drizzling and with a stiff wind that just made it feel kind of miserable outside (I was only wearing my lightweight trench coat).  Even inside my office, wearing a quilted vest with a sweater was most definitely not too much.  I could have happily been wearing sweater tights. 

This weekend I caught up a bunch of videos while I was in Headache Land.  I had recently put a bunch of the Academy Award nominees on my Netflix DVD queue, and The Grand Budapest Hotel was the first to arrive.  I just loved it, even though I did start feeling a little senile because it took me so long to come up with all these famous actors' names.  Willem Dafoe was the one that really stumped me for a very long time--like, 45 minutes.  I could remember that his first name was an unusual variant on a common name, but that got me nowhere until I suddenly found myself thinking of...that book with the guy who is on the island, what is the name of that book, oh yeah, that's Willem Dafoe.

I also watched Gone Girl.  I had enjoyed the book a lot, but the movie, while still interesting, made less of an impact.  I guess it hurt that I already knew the basic plot, but I also think that the way events unfolded in the book made for a more surprising and intense story.

The last couple times I'd been to the dentist, my gums had been healthier than they had in a long time.  But at this visit, my gums were back to their less awesome state--unsurprisingly, the improvement in gum health is strongly correlated to the period in which I was taking my flaxseed oil regularly.  I guess it's time to get back on track with that.  

A to Z Challenge Day 7:  G is for Gold, Grand Budapest Hotel, Gone Girl, and Gums

2 comments:

mom said...

I like the leopard skirt outfit. Very put together and the tassel necklace was the perfect touch.

Sally said...

Thanks! I think it's going to be a useful necklace.