Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Wacky Outfits

Super Duper--Tuesday, 3/1/16

Today's Reverse Inspiration comes from a photo I found on Pinterest that was originally from an online styling company's site--they provide an inspiration photo and links to shop for items for the look.  For this outfit, they suggest, "To create an outfit for lunch with friends at the weekend wear a red check blazer with a hot pink houndstooth mini skirt."  This stylist is definitely not afraid to mix it up....though doesn't the model look pretty skeptical of the whole thing?  Yeah, I feel you. 


From lookastic.com

I mean, I had originally envisioned wearing my houndstooth skirt with a scroll print twin set, but the effect was just too much (and I was going to wear it to work, not to go out with friends on the weekend!).  So I toned it down by switching out the scroll print cardigan for a black blazer, which is almost (but critically not quite) an instant professionalizer.  I also stepped back from the brink of wearing red tights and red shoes.  (Of course the White Rabbit was inexorably drawn to the crazy aspect of this outfit.)


Red/black scroll pullover sweater (thrifted, JCP), $1.67/wear
Black ponte knit blazer (Target), $1.92/wear
Red/black houndstooth skirt (thrifted, Casual Corner), $1.25/wear
Black tights
Black buckle flats by Me Too, $2.98/wear
White Rabbit pocket watch pendant (Zad), $4.03/wear

Outfit total: $11.85/wear

This is actually the second iteration of this outfit.  For the first, I went with a much more simple pairing of houndstooth skirt and thick red cable knit sweater.  But I don't know if I was in a particularly insensitive state before or if I'd only worn that sweater with a shirt underneath it or what, but this time when I put it on...I mean really, when I picked it up to put it on...it was hella itchy.  Like unbearably itchy.  So goodbye, itchy wool Lands End sweater I bought at Goodwill, and hello semi-bonkers pattern mix outfit.


And guess what, this skirt is itchy, too!  I didn't notice it the first time I wore it--with leggings--but with normal tights, my thighs were unhappy.  So I changed into fleece-lined tights (even though it's not super-cold today--high of 27 F) to protect my legs from this ferocious skirt.   That worked out OK but not great because my fleece-lined tights are not as high-waisted as my leggings and I had a bit of itchiness at the waist when the tights were lower than the skirt waistband.  Because I'm not interested in spending all day adjusting the alignment of my tights/skirt or limiting my wearing of this skirt to the high-waisted leggings, I'm going to make the skirt a part of the Big Closet Purge.  (I can even do so feeling satisfied that it was a good deal.  It changed things up a bit in my wardrobe this winter, and I can't argue with $1.25/wear for a skirt purchased new with tags.)  I'd rather wear my red plaid skirt that has no itchiness issues.

In other news...I hoped that my red car would feel simpatico with me today in my red outfit and be in a happy, non-drivetrain-malfunction kind of mood.  I'm pleased to report that my car was fully functional operational, working completely normally, which is to say, awesomely.  I also had a very productive day at work, and am looking forward to submitting the data for this kind of stressful project to our consultant tomorrow morning, well in advance of the end of day deadline.  I think I'm finally starting to breathe again after yesterday's tension.

Now of course both Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump will do well in the Super Tuesday results and I will be worried again.  Please, no, just no.

3 comments:

Tam said...

I think you're safe from Bernie but his maniacal, ego-obsessed GOP counterpart is going to be the nominee, I'm pretty sure. Ugh.

Sally said...

Sadly, that description works for Trump and Cruz. ARGH.

mom said...

Oklahoma went with Sanders and Cruz. Cruz because he's from Texas, I'm sure!