Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Working the Blue

Plus Burgundy--Wednesday, 3/2/16

In this blog post, the always-inspiring Alice shows us how nice a burgundy top and cobalt skirt look together.

From happinessatmidlife.com

I copied those two items, then added navy tights and maroon boots to play the color scheme out further (well, and so my legs were blue by design instead of by accident due to freezing--intentionality matters!).


Cobalt blue skirt (eShakti), $8.75/wear
Burgundy cashmere pullover sweater (Macy's), $8.00/wear
Navy/burgundy/blue birds scarf (Kohls), $3.40/wear
Navy tights
Maroon ankle boots by Dolce Vita, $13.39/wear

Outfit total: $33.54/wear (working on these items!)

Wearing a scarf that ties the colors together is a Sally thing, and when that scarf has birds on it?  Perfection.


In other news...I thought this was a nifty flowchart to work you through the "Should I build a capsule wardrobe?" issue.  I got kicked out at "I avoid wearing the same thing over and over."  I tried it again, kinda pretending I wouldn't mind that, and got kicked out at "outfits will be less varied."  That sounds right to me.  The page also links at the bottom to helpful information you can apply to be a more thoughtful shopper/dresser even if you choose not to limit yourself to a capsule wardrobe.

I am currently on what they call a wardrobe detox (step 5) and I call a Big Closet Purge, but one thing I've noticed is that I actually find it easier to get rid of stuff after I have bought replacement items than before.  It's like, "But if I get rid of this, I won't have a purple t-shirt! Oh no!"  Now that I've bought a better purple t-shirt, it's very easy to get rid of the other one.

It's been really nice going through my closet and identifying substitutes for things that are in the not-loving-it/could-purge category.  This has been very concrete this time because I have a long list of outfit ideas linked to my wardrobe spreadsheet, so when I'm looking at an item and thinking about purging it, I can go to the outfit ideas for it and see how easy it is to substitute something else.  You've seen me write about this lately, e.g., when I purged my houndstooth skirt in favor of my (relatively new) red plaid skirt, and (spoiler alert!) I will soon be purging a pair of plaid pants (after one last wear) in favor of that plaid skirt.

My method is to go to the outfit idea list and see how I feel about changing out the purge-candidate item for another item.  It's been great to see that (1) I do have something else I can wear in the outfit and (2) I like the new outfit better!  (For example, it's pretty cool how almost any button up shirt outfit can be improved by substituting a soft button up blouse like my penguin blouses.)  In a couple cases I have been happy to delete the outfit idea altogether because it was a case of trying to make an item I'm not thrilled with work and getting rid of the item means no longer having to force it.

I have no doubt that this Big Closet Purge will still leave me with a kind of ridiculously gigantic wardrobe, but that's OK.  I've got the room.  And I do have some items I'd like to add, though I recognize that some of these will be very difficult.  For instance, I have a platonic ideal of a light yellow pullover sweater but I'm not sure there is a shade of light yellow that I would actually like on me. 

Plus, for my sister, "I hope it does a good job."  Hah!

6 comments:

Tam said...

Love the cartoon. I never do have trouble figuring out what to say about babies, though, since these days I find them beautiful and adorable and most parents seem pleased enough to hear, "Oh my gosh, he's so gorgeous," or, "Look at those eyes!" or "She's so cute, you must be totally in love with her," or whatever.

There are many situations I feel socially awkward in, but baby-reacting isn't one of them. I can see how it could be harder if you don't find babies attractive, or you do but hate to say commonplace things and instead think you need a special unique remark or your words are meaningless.

Jen M. said...

Lol you can't go wrong saying he's cute! Some babies really aren't though and then I guess it could be awkward. Funny, in my ongoing blabbering to the child I often commiserate with him on what hard work it is being a baby. And it is! So the good job comment is particularly funny, not that he could do a bad job. :)

Sally said...

Jen, I have every confidence that he's doing a fabulous job of being a baby! All evidence is pointing that way.

Tam, yes, I think that desire to say something unique screws some people up here, but for people who are like um it's just a very small and strange looking person...I guess it's tough.

Even I haven't/don't feel an immediate enthusiasm at every baby I see, I went through a sort of personal training period in which I thought of babies as little young animals, and little young animals are always adorable heart-tuggers even when they are kind of ugly. This is made easier because babies actually ARE little young animals. Of course, if your reaction to little young animals is "Ed-why-am-I-expected-to-touch-this-rabbit-am-I-doing-this-right-can-I-stop-now," this is a non-starter.

Tam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tam said...

I think people are often waylaid by thinking they need to say something unique in a situation that really doesn't call for it. "I'm so sorry for your loss" or "What a beautiful baby" or "I love you" are really just fine.

On the rare occasion that I see a baby that doesn't strike me as attractive, I just lie. It's not as though this is actually a matter of importance. It's just that attractiveness is an easy thing to praise in babies, since they usually haven't demonstrated upstanding moral character or insightful wit quite yet.

Growing up really is a hard job! When I'm home I just lounge around, but kids (even babies) are working on growing and learning all their waking hours, and doing so without the benefit of being able to regulate their moods and feelings very well. Sheesh! So indeed, good job,Sally's nephew!

Sally said...

I know, and adult humans can be so oblivious and frustrating, too! It is harder work than anything I did today.