Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Introducing Pink Week

I swear it was an accident that all my outfits this week have shades of pink/coral/fuchsia.  I guess it's something about this spring weather that has me reaching for these bright-soft hues.

Saturated Pastels in Action--Tuesday, 3/29/16

Focal item: Pink/light blue floral scarf

I think this shade is a bit too much on the peach/coral side to fully qualify as "rose quartz" to complement the "serenity" here, but it still has a bit of that Pantone 2016 color mix feel.  And so does my scarf, so that's convenient.

From undomesticgoddess.net

My sweater is more of a medium blue, and my pants are a darker grey, and my shoes are grey flats, and I'm not wearing a belt or a light blue purse or floral earrings or nail polish.  Otherwise, identical to the inspiration photo.


Medium blue pullover sweater (thrifted, Studio Works), $1.25/wear+
Grey wide leg trousers (thrifted, Lane Bryant), $0.71/wear
Grey ribbon flats by Louise et Cie, $6.25/wear
Pink/light blue floral scarf (Target), $2.00/wear+

Outfit total: $10.21/wear

Oh well, it's all just an excuse to wear this scarf (and this sweater).  I'm not really up for rocking the 25 year old administrative assistant in 2012 look anyway.  I would kill myself in those shoes, for one.


In other news...An article for teachers, parents, and anyone who might in the position to help kids learn.  (Here is a longer article in Ed Week, for which you need to sign up for free access.)  Carol Dweck, pioneer of the growth mindset concept, responds to how these ideas are being misunderstood by adults such that "false growth mindsets" are holding kids back.

The key point: It's not enough to praise for effort--this is a practice likely to perpetuate the failures of the self esteem movement that the work on growth mindsets was developed to counter.  Dweck says, "Students need to try new strategies and seek input from others when they’re stuck. They need this repertoire of approaches—not just sheer effort—to learn and improve."

I liked this visual from the Ed Week article.

2 comments:

Tam said...

I say these things to the (adult) students I teach:

"Frustration [or confusion] is just ignorance leaving the mind."

"It took geniuses hundreds of years to work this stuff out, so don't feel bad if you don't understand it immediately."

"Math is like bench presses - when it feels hard is when you're getting better at it."

"Personally, I always cry right before I have a breakthrough and start understanding stuff. But you folks are not crazy like me, so you can stop before that point and take a little break and come back to it."

Sally said...

Nice! I like the idea of ignorance leaving the mind.