Sunday, March 13, 2016

Two Ways in One

...Or How to Dress Like Bill Clinton Politics?--Sunday, 3/13/16

Shea has a neat recurring feature in which she shows multiple ways to wear the same item.  In this inspiration photo, she shows us two ways to wear a navy print sweater--with a striped top or with jeans and bright flats.

From shealennon.com
Or you can combine the two outfits into one--engaging in a sort of sartorial Third Way--and get something like this.  I'm not sure Bill's approach would advocate for a 70s hinged owl pendant but you gotta throw those old hippies a bone now and again.  I've also nixed the red entirely from this outfit, but that seems appropriate in the post-Cold-War era.  Ain't nobody needs to bow to the Reds in this day and age.

And if the Republicans feel left out...well, they shouldn't be represented by a Commie color.  Though to be fair, it's not their fault.  Blame Time magazine's maps of the 2000 election, in which red was chosen for the Republicans because, as this article puts it: "red begins with r, Republican begins with r," said the senior graphics editor Archie Tse, "it was a more natural association."

Of course, now I feel like I missed an opportunity to wear my elephant pendant with a fun idiosyncratic political intention but oh well.  OWLS FOREVER.


Black/blue striped T with blue top (Macy's),  $1.76/wear
Black and white diamond cardigan (JNY), $17.25/wear
Straight leg jeans (thrifted, Bandolinoblu), $0.29/wear
*Bright blue flats (Payless), $8.00/wear+
Owl pendant (Kohls), $1.58/wear

Outfit total: $28.88/wear

In other news...Yesterday was so crazy warm (70-75 in the apartment, 60s outside) that I ended up wearing my birds on a wire t-shirt, striped ballet flats, and a pair of basketball shorts I exercise in (I don't own any non-exercise shorts at this point).  Of course, next weekend we are expecting snow (1-3").

I spent a lot of time this weekend playing Fallout 3, and tonight I finished the Point Lookout DLC (downloadable content).  So I am done with killing aggressive inbred swamp folk who attack me on sight.

I also reached the maximum level of 30 this evening--this doesn't stop the game, but means that I am no longer getting experience/leveling up/improving skills at this point (which is OK because I am already maxed out at 100 for each of my skills and have been for a while).

I wanted to put some game time in this weekend because I don't play much (or at all) during the work week, and I'm going to be busy for the next couple weekends with social stuff that is incompatible with sitting around for a couple hours at a stretch playing Fallout.

6 comments:

mom said...

We are looking forward to keeping you too busy to play Fallout!

Sally said...

That's the spirit!

In the game, whenever you hear a baby crying, it's a precursor to a baby carriage rigged with an explosive blowing up. I guess the (robotic) crying baby sound is intended to draw you in close to the carriage.

rvman said...

So when Sally dives behind the couch the first time she hears the baby cry - now you know why.

Sally said...

And I promise to leave my Terrible Shotgun at home/in Fallout!

mom said...

We don't need to traumatize Paxton, so no diving behind the sofa! Especially since the sofa is next to a wall.

Sally said...

Ouch!