Thursday, January 29, 2015

Whimsical Winter Birds

Bird Barbie -- Thursday, 11/22/15 1/22/15 (no, my wearing a pair of brown pinstriped pants did not actually make me into a Time Lord capable of traveling into the future -- that was a straight up typo)

Another secret sweater vest. Bright pink. Pattern mixing. Sweet birdies. All of the above.

It astonishes me that it took this long for me to pair this black/white blazer with the bright pink pants.  White, black, and hot pink are just an obvious and delightfully bright combination.  (It's even more obvious when you realize that the jacket is lined under the collar with bright pink fabric.)  I grounded this with the even brighter but aviarally (OK, I guess that's not a word) seasonally-appropriate silk sparrow scarf.

I definitely needed something to pump me up to get through my last day at work before the move!

I am still spinning a bit from the fact that my sister and I have moved to new residences on the same exact day (a Friday, about 3/4 of the way through the month, so not exactly an obviously popular time).  Jen and me: separated by space, joined by time.

This will also be my first entry in my new style challenge -- the Behind the Leopard Glasses Pattern Challenge, Day 21: Grid.  Yep, this is happening way out of order because I sort of serendipitously used the primary pieces I had previously been eying for that style challenge in creating this outfit.  No wonder it came together so easily.

Continuing with that style challenge will be interesting because many of the ideas I'd had for it are not fully appropriate to a Snow City....ahem, I mean, Coldville....winter -- because many of the patterned pieces are short sleeved tops.  We'll see.


Black lace-trimmed T (thrifted, Coldwater Creek)
Black sweater vest (thrifted, Foxcroft)
Black/white windowpane blazer (thrifted, Target)
Bright pink Dockers
Pink silk bird scarf (Nordstrom?)
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman

4 comments:

jen said...

"Jen and me: separated by space, joined by time." -- YES :)

I also can't help but wonder... what will your new photo-taking spot look like in the new place? Hmmm, I bet we find out pretty soon!

Sally said...

Oh god, the latest photos are TERRIBLE. No light, no decent angle on the mirror...you're going to be as ready as I am for my house to be organized enough to mount a mirror in a place with decent lighting. It's bad when I'm looking back at my old photos as examples of awesomeness compared to the ones I'm taking at the new place.

Speaking of which, WTF is with this tendency for there to be almost zero overhead lighting in modern apartments? In our new place, entire rooms have no overhead lighting at all. I have two floor lamps in the living room and it's still so dark that we need a third one (and that's with one of the lamps having a bare bulb because the lampshade was broken during the move). The kitchen is the only room that has adequate overhead lighting (track lighting).

jen said...

I don't understand that either. One thing we did at our last apartment was to hang a ceiling light (from Ikea) over the dining room table with a hook... there was a white cord going down the wall to the plug, but it wasn't very noticeable, and the plug was on a switch so it felt like a normal light.

Sally said...

Luckily we do have an overhead light in the dining room so we didn't have to rig something, but I will definitely remember your trick in case we end up somewhere we need it!