Monday, January 12, 2015

Christmas Break

It was kind of nice to take a break from outfit photos over the holidays while I was on vacation.  This time I packed a very simple color scheme (black, white, red, and one green shirt plus my forest green jacket), which made pretty much everything go together.

But I did take one photo of this necklace my mom gave me as part of my birthday gift.  It's a necklace she bought for herself a really long time ago but didn't wear.  I had it in heavy rotation during my vacation because it is simple and understated yet not too delicate -- and thus it is very flexible.  (I mean, it's a chain -- that's always flexible, right?)


Instead of taking outfit photos, I kept busy petting the cat, spoiling the cat with Robert's leftover beef brisket, cursing the cat for howling loudly in the middle of the night and early in the morning, watching the cat watch the birds at the bird feeders, and shooing the cat off my suitcases.

Oh, and there were people there, too.  My mom and I finished three computer games while I was there (adventure/hidden object games from Big Fish), which I think is a Christmas week record.  My dad told this extended joke about a genetically engineered snail that took my mom and me in at first because it started with "I saw this article on Bilt.de..." (a German-language tabloid website that apparently has all kinds of crazy stories, a couple of which he had already told us about) -- it was a real triumph.  Robert played a hell of a lot of Tetris on his tablet.  We had several Skip-Bo evenings and I think the overall record was almost perfectly split between the teams of Mom and Dad vs. Robert and me.  And of course, no Christmas visit to my parents would be complete without seeing a festive holiday movie, in this case the last Hobbit movie.  Next year's movie: the new Star Wars, of course.

My mom, Robert, and I went birding at the lake and saw a bunch of ducks, including several canvasbacks, which were a life bird for my mom.  We later saw a kestrel in the backyard, which I believe was another life bird for her.  I enjoyed the (relatively) warm weather and seeing birds, even if I cannot expect to get any life birds out of it at this point.

Perhaps the single weirdest moment of the vacation occurred in the park between the high school and my parents house, where Robert and I were finishing up a walk around town with my uncle and his dog, Ginger.  Ginger is an extremely fast dog, so even though I kept thinking we were leaving her behind, she'd suddenly appear out of nowhere and take the lead.  One time this happened, I saw she had a stick or branch in her mouth as she ran past me.  Then I realized, WTF that branch has a hoof?!  It turned out she'd found a deer leg and, being a dog, decided to pick it up and run around with it.

3 comments:

jen said...

Where did she find a deer leg? Wow. That reminds me of walking with this dog at an artist residency in Italy, and he kept bringing us bigger and bigger branches until at one point we were like, um, I think this is actually a tree.

Sally said...

One of the weirdest things, as Robert and I discussed last night, is how clean and fresh and "unsullied" (says Robert) the leg was. It wasn't like an old decomposing leg. It was like a leg that could have been attached to a deer an hour ago. It's strange to think about how she would have found a deer leg in that little park near our parents' house!

Sally said...

Also, "I think this is actually a tree" -- hah!