Monday, January 5, 2015

Golems and Polka Dots

Book Review:  The Golem of Hollywood by Jonathan Kellerman and Jesse Kellerman



4.5 stars

I like Jonathan Kellerman's series of books featuring the psychologist-sleuth Alex Delaware, but this was an unexpectedly fascinating supernatural detective mystery.  Very unusual subject matter and settings.  More like this one, please, publishing industry!

I am really surprised by how many bad reviews the book gets on Amazon.  I guess the religious/supernatural elements and the way-old back story that parallels the action in the current day was just too bizarre and unexpected for some people.  I loved it that it did not resemble what I have learned to expect from Jonathan Kellerman except for the whole being awesomely entertaining part.

Purple Polka Dot Kid -- Saturday, 12/13/14

I love, love, love the polka dot and striped long-sleeved Ts I bought from Kohls over the Black Friday weekend.  The polka dot ones are lined with striped fabric, and vice versa, so that you can roll up the sleeves for built-in pattern mixing.  This is my kind of shirt!


*Purple polka dot T (Kohls)
Grey jeans (Kohls)
Grey ankle boots by Seychelles
*Purple/gold necklace (Macy's)

Less than a week later, I saw another take on purple polka dots with grey jeans on Putting Me Together.  Great minds.  I, however, will avoid mustard like the plague it is to my hair and skin colors.  That's just a no-go for me, completely. But adding a navy jacket? I could see that.

From Putting Me Together

Also, I feel compelled to point out, she's wearing grey jeans with cognac boots.  It's so totally a thing.  Just not my thing.

And yeah, her photographs are 1000 times better than mine.  I mean, you actually see the colors she's wearing!  Sigh.

6 comments:

jen said...

I don't often wear patterns, but I do like polka dots.

mom said...

I've already ordered The Golem of Hollywood from the library. I'm looking forward to a good read. I like both stripes and polka dots.

Sally said...

There are more polka dots where those came from.... ;)

Sally said...

Mom, I think you'll enjoy it a lot!

mom said...

I'm done with The Golem of Hollywood. I really enjoyed it. Although I didn't figure out the significance of the Asham story until it was impossible to not know. I tend to go with the story and not try to figure things out. I really liked it and it didn't bother me that it was not Kellerman's usual type of story.

Sally said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Mom!