Saturday, January 3, 2015

Slinky and Sparkly

After taking a couple weeks off work (man, vacation, what a great thing that is) to visit family for the holidays, I've fallen even farther behind on my posts.  But being a planner, I prepared a bunch of posts in advance before I left so that I could come home, PANIC, then spend time digging into this whole "packing up my entire apartment to move about 11 miles" thing.  Then panicking some more.  I'm pretty much going to be on a Work, Pack, PANIC, Eat Chocolate cycle for the next few weeks.

Day 22: Resourceful Top -- 12/11/14

This is an odd garment.  It's acrylic, so it's pretty warm, but it has 3/4 length sleeves (not ideal for winter).  And it's short and too small around and in the sleeves to wear as a cardigan over anything but a very thin knit top.  It looks better buttoned than open, but the buttons tend to gape.  So basically, it's like a shrunken, warm yet arm-baring pullover sweater with buttons on the front.  Let's work with that.

Step 1: Try out my new black Lands End base layer tank underneath.  It's long-ish but the same color as the sweater so maybe it will help visually lengthen it/cover up my midsection.

Step 2: Although perhaps it would be most obvious to layer a sweater under a jacket/blazer rather than a cardigan, I added my black "travel" cardigan, made from a fancy anti-wrinkle distinctly non-sweater-type fabric that goes well with the high tech tank top material and the slippery knit grey skirt.

Step 3: This sweater is blinged out so I should tone it down with...fuck it, even more sparkle.  It's the holiday season.  Get into the spirit.

Challenge idea used: cardigan sweater buttoned to look more like a normal sweater.


Black/grey sparkle cardigan as regular sweater (thrifted, Unity World Wear)
Black travel cardigan (thrifted, Chicos)
Black base layer tank (Lands End)
Grey knit skirt (Target)
Grey tights (Kohls)
Tall grey boots by LifeStride
Black sparkle necklace (Kohls)

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Creative! You totally made everything work.

The resourceful top is an interesting idea. I think the closest I've done is to wear a dress backwards. The neck was too low in front, and apparently my boobs are the shape of shoulder blades, so it worked out.

Actually, I've worn a top backwards, too. It had really pretty buttons up the back, and buttons do not mix well with long, frizzy hair. Actually, they mix quite well. So I moved them to be in the front. This was a fairly loose top, and thus not so surprising that it still fit.

Sally said...

I like the idea of wearing a top backwards, but I don't have any with pretty buttons at the moment.

Debbie said...

How about some with a neckline that you're not really wild about?

Sally said...

Hmmm...wearing a scarf would be my go-to fix there, but I'll have to consider that. It would need to be a bit oversized to fit well in the front.

Debbie said...

Ah, right, scarves. Scarves don't mix well with ballroom dancing, which is where I've worn those things.

I would assume most tops wouldn't fit well on grown women when worn backwards!

jen said...

lol I just sold a shirt that had buttons in the back. But since it was too small, turning it around wouldn't have been the fix either.