Thursday, January 8, 2015

In Opposition

Day 27: Opposites Attract -- Wednesday, 12/17/14

Getting into the final stretch before my two week winter vacation but I was keeping up the energy for the 31 Days, 31 Ways challenge.  My take on opposites was actually a kind of three-fold contrast: girly (pearls and pencil skirt), casual (striped T), and a little bit edgy (my ankle boots with the zipper edge).  I thought it all worked.

But I have to disagree with her that peanut butter and Oreos are complete opposites.  Nope.  Peanut butter and bacon, though?  Yeah.  That's a combination that I can't get my head around but that people like Robert swear is magic.  Actually, I cannot fathom Robert referring to anything as "magic" other than in a situation like someone asking, "So what's up with that big glowing ball thing in the university in Skyrim?"  "It's magic."

So instead of magic, let's say:  That people like Robert swear is awesome.

You know what else is awesome?  Star Trek novels.  I know, it seems like they should kind of suck but they don't.  I just finished reading the Star Trek: Next Generation book Contamination and I was pretty much blown away by how fun and satisfying it was.  It was not great literature, but I enjoyed it a lot, and sometimes that's exactly what you want from a book.  Of course, a few weeks earlier, I had been pondering how weird it is that you never find books that combine the science fiction and mystery genres, and I was like, Man, that's a genre that I would consume like peanut butter and Oreos because they are two genres that fit together so naturally.  And then, after packing almost all of my books (including most of the small number of unread books borrowed from my mom last Christmas), I finally finished The Edge of Eternity (and some other random book I wasn't very impressed by and have already forgotten) and had no library books except one that I don't want to read, I think, and I was like...OK, I guess it's this random ass looking Star Trek book for which I have no high expectations.  And I'll be damned, it was a hybrid science fiction mystery!  With the familiar and beloved Next Generation characters!  Woot! 


*Black/white striped long-sleeved T (Kohls) -- it was like $5, so even though I recently bought another similar shirt with the black quilted shoulders (which would have been more Star Trek like to wear), I got this one too.  I heart stripes.
Black travel cardigan (thrifted, Chicos)
Burgundy pencil skirt (Nordstrom)
Black tights
Black ankle boots by Sam Edelman
Double strand pearls (Macy's)

4 comments:

mom said...

It seems lame to like Star Trek books, but they really do rock. I also love the outfit. You can't go wrong with stripes. Unless you pair it with plaid, maybe.

Sally said...

Hmmm....plaid and stripes, eh? I think I could do that. :)

Sally said...

Oh, and Mom, I recently finished a Star Trek book in which some people were going through someone's personal files and found that she had the full collection of novels based on what was essentially a TV show. And the woman who found them was like, Man, who would read books based on a serial program? A nice shout-out to those of us reading a Star Trek book, I thought.

mom said...

I didn't catch on when I read that. Absolutely, a great shout-out!