Sunday, January 11, 2015

Alice in Wonderland's 150th Anniversary

Getting a Jump on Celebrating the Wonders of Wonderland -- Friday, 12/19/14

I read in The Economist recently that there's a bunch of stuff in the works to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the incomparable Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  So clearly my personal style challenge for this Friday was wearing my Alice in Wonderland scarf to work. OK, actually, I'd already chosen this style challenge before reading about the anniversary, but cause and effect don't have to work in that traditional straightforward linear fashion, do they?  Not in Wonderland!

Like the Alice stories, my stripes-and-polka dots combination might seem initially absurd or nonsensical, but ultimately brilliant to a discerning audience.

Debbie once asked whether wearing long scarves that dangle down get in the way/etc. and I said, Nope, totally fine!  But then I tried wearing this scarf, made from a moderately thick t-shirt fabric, in this style (to quote the Hatter's hat tag) and it was too cumbersome.  So I ended up folding it in half and tucking the ends into the loop to shorten it significantly once I got to work. But this photo gives you the best looking-glass mirror image of the iconic Cheshire Cat scene with the words "We're all mad here."  Just right for a Friday at work.


*Black/grey stripe cardigan (Kohls)
*Grey/black polka dot knit pencil skirt (Kohls)
Black long-sleeved T (Walmart) -- see, told you I was going to start wearing these to work regularly and I am
Alice in Wonderland scarf (NerdAlertCreations on Etsy)
Grey leggings (Kohls)
Grey tall boots by Fitzwell

BONUS!  BONUS!  On the same day I wore this outfit, the Already Pretty blog linked to this delightful recitation of Jabberwocky by Neil Gaiman.  He even finds a tulgey wood to stage his performance.  LOVE.

I am excited by the prospect of an explosion of All Things Alice in 2015.

2 comments:

jen said...

I saw this scarf (or a similar one) online and thought of you. Should have known you already had it!

Sally said...

Yep, I was all over that sucker.