Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Crying in the Post Op

I had my surgery yesterday afternoon and woke up feeling horrible pain (and immediately started crying, not big dramatic sobs but silent tears down a grimacing face).  Despite getting like a gazillion types of drugs, I was still hurting when I left...and all evening...and all night (though I was able to get some sleep)...and all morning so far (though today has been a slight improvement).  I don't even want to get into all the ways I'm suffering.  I'm glad that I went into the surgery thinking it would be the end of (or close to the end of) my troubles--if I'd known how bad I'd feel after, it would have been much harder to face doing it.

They successfully zapped the big kidney stone with a laser and broke it up into smaller pieces.  However, due to a narrow spot (but thankfully not constricted, or I'd be facing a surgery that requires cutting into the abdomen) in the tube, they were not able to get something up there to remove the pieces.  I will have to wait for them to pass on their own--boo.  Robert and I suspect I might have passed some of it last night during a particularly excruciating period.

They also had to place a stent (to keep the urine flow going), which about 5 different nurses warned me would be quite uncomfortable.  The plan is to remove it at my follow up appointment next Wednesday.

So I'm home all painful and grumpy today.  I am not spending much time at all on the computer the last few days but in that brief period of only moderate pain that occurs when the two narcotic pills kick in, I decided it was easier to mass-email work than to try calling people until I found somebody not on vacation or at a conference today.

And I also decided while I was here (using my new heating pad that Robert got for me) to check a couple blogs--I saw this and it helped a bit (it would have been better with bunnies, of course).  (Hat tip: styleontarget.com)  I especially liked #8 and #14.  #16 reminded me of Robert--that was his childhood career aspiration.

I'm going to start catching up with outfits I wore last weekend, before I was living in yoga pants, t-shirts, and this kind of awesomely non-constricting mesh underwear they gave me in the hospital.

Hurray for pre-written blog content!

"Forgetful Pink Floral Overlord"--Saturday, 6/18/16

I don't have long enough hair to replicate her 'do, which she calls the "Frun" (it's a bun with extra frizz--easier to do if it's humid and you have a 4 month old baby).  But I'm all over the floral skirt + denim jacket combination.

From just-another-smith.blogspot.com

Well, floral skort, actually.  This is one of 3 skorts, new with tags, that I picked up at the 88 cent thrift store sale with my mom last year...while it was still the very early stages of winter (i.e., December) here in Coldville.  But with amazing dependability, it does become warm weather season again, even up here.  So now it's time to debut this sucker!  (But note that I forgot to wear the denim jacket in the photo--argh!  I did wear it on and off during the day.)


*White/pink/floral skort (thrifted, Walmart), $0.88/wear
Pink short-sleeved T (thrifted, Target), $0.75/wear
Blue denim jacket (Liz Claiborne/JCP), $5.38/wear
Pink/tan/black striped flats (Payless), $2.66/wear
Pink floral necklace (Target), $1.10/wear

Outfit total: $10.77/wear

And hurray for bringing the cost per wear down from #DIV/0 to $0.88!  Wish it were always that easy.

5 comments:

mom said...

Sally, I'm so sorry you are hurting. This, too, shall pass. On a lighter note, didn't the cat who loved getting into the shower remind you of Tiger and him getting into the bathtub with Jennifer? Thanks for sharing. There were so many awwww moments that my day is already better, as I hope yours is.

Sally said...

Yep, wet cats do make me think of Jen's tub companion! And how miserable he would look when he was all drenched. He couldn't bear the indignity of it. ;)

"This kidney stone too shall pass," right? Right!

I'm now setting my hopes that when I go to the urologist next Wed. that the stent will be removed and the stones will have passed and all will be well.

I have been sick or hurting appreciably every day since before Memorial Day. I am ready to be back to normal! Even my version of normal.

Tam said...

God, this is just awful :(

Sally said...

Yeah, it is. Let this be a cautionary tale: Do not get kidney stones! It's at least as bad as people say!

Jen M. said...

Sorry that you've been in such pain. I got those mesh undies at the hospital after delivery. They seem like they should be awful but they're pretty cool for recovery. Hope you're able to read and/or watch Netflix to keep distracted til you're feeling better.