Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Bite! And Bawl Like a Baby

"Shark Bite Barbie"--Wednesday, 6/7/16

Another inspiration photo from the defunct website StyleUp--one that actually works extremely well as a business casual outfit.  Don't you just love those orchid pants (yep, the saturated pastels get me every time)?

From styleup.com

I don't have orchid pants but I thought a bright pink skirt would be a reasonable substitute.  (I know, me wearing bright pink?  Shocking!)

See--bright pink works with leopard print.

From whyidodeclaire.blogspot.com

I paired it with a "shark hem" leopard print blouse, which definitely has a different silhouette from the sleek look in the inspiration photos but is a lot of fun...and is two, two, two predators in one!


White leopard "shark hem" blouse (JNY), $3.51/wear
Bright pink skirt (JCP), $1.50/wear
Black pointy-toed flats (Nordstrom), $2.08/wear
Black sparkly necklace (Kohls), $0.96/wear

Outfit total: $8.05/wear

I admit that it's not much of a conventionally flattering outfit, but if you don't like it...Bite me.  No, better yet, bite you!

Get it?  Shark, leopard, bite?

And yes, that line is totally a reference to the "fuck me sideways...no better yet, fuck him" quote from the Fallout 3 character Dukov, an asshole whom it was a pleasure to kill after listening to his appallingly sexist, self-grandiose commentary.  (But let's face it, he's still better than Trump--he didn't make any racist comments.)


Today's bird photo is a downy woodpecker, also rocking the black and white.


In other news...Yep, I admit it, I did cry my eyes out watching this video (bottom of the page).  (Hat tip: Katie at styleontarget.com.)

I enjoyed this article Tam sent, a response to a rather vacuous article about the changing landscape of women's workwear.  I cannot agree more with point #1:  What Mark Zuckerberg wears has fuck-all to do with anything.  Point #2 is critical--as there are fewer hard rules, a woman's ability to observe the norms around dress becomes even more important.  My go-to blog for professional women's dress, Corporette.com, generally addresses any question/discussion about what is appropriate to wear in the workplace with "Know your office" as the first rule.  Local norms trump everything.

Still no news on the surgery front.  I called them this morning and was told that the scheduler is out of the office for the rest of the week.  The person I spoke to refused to answer/didn't know whether there is someone taking that scheduler's place this week and just took my name and phone number.  I thought there was a good chance that despite my giving my cell phone number, I would come home to a message on my landline answering machine, but there was nada.  Bah.

3 comments:

Tam said...

That's frustrating about the scheduler. If you don't get a call by tomorrow morning, you might consider calling your urologist's office and talking to someone there.

Mom said...

It's crazy that you are expected to suffer until someone comes back! Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long for the surgery.

And, yes, the video of the little girl getting a doll with a prosthetic leg like hers is enough to make even the most cynical people have a tear or two.

Sally said...

Yes, the person I spoke to was in the urologist's office, actually (!!!).