Thursday, June 23, 2016

A Partial Work Day

"Together Again for the First Time"--Thursday, 6/23/16

I am always on the lookout for ways to wear this navy bird print top.  I realized that something I hadn't yet tried was pairing it with my diamond cardigan--which has black in it but against the white background, I don't think it's all that noticeable.

It was hard to find a Reverse Inspiration for this combination, but I did not allow that to sway me from implementing my plan.  Instead I let Alice's white/teal/navy outfit and big smile cheer me on.  She is wearing white jacquard pants in the fall with a screw fashion rules attitude that is inspirational.

From happinessatmidlife.com

What do you think of the result?  Not bad, to my eye.


Navy birds shell (Nordstrom), $7.80/wear
Black and white diamond cardigan (JNY), $6.90/wear
Bright teal skirt (JCP), $1.73/wear
Nude wedges by Cole Haan, $11.99/wear
Silver feather pendant (JCP), $3.42/wear

Outfit total: $31.84/wear

Surely I get credit for reuniting this silver feather pendant with some (not-silver-but-whatever) birds, right?


This diamond cardigan is tied for Cardigan MVP #4 with four wears during the WtWC.

In other news...I went into work this morning and read an increasingly mind-boggling email chain between two people in my department and the person in charge of posting some end-of-quarter data to our database (who for the record is NOT part of our technology department).  The data should have been final last Friday, but (as usual) it wasn't.  The email exchange this week went like this:

My group:  Is the X data posted for all sites?

Them:  Yes.

My group:  I am seeing data missing for sites A, B, C, D, and E.

Them:  OK, I've posted that data now.

My group:  Site C is still missing several hundred records.

Them:  Just posted 300+ records for site C.

My group:  Has this taken care of the known issue with site F?

Them:  Still waiting for confirmation from site F.

Etc. Etc.

Talking to my colleagues today, I found out that apparently this person who posts the data has permissions to post the data but does not have rights to query the database herself to see if the data posted.  WHAT?  So in the future, the person in technology who used to be responsible for posting the data will run a query once they think all the data is posted and see if it really is.

But from what I can tell, the issue has not been that they tried and failed to post data for all those sites.  It's that they simply didn't even try to post the data for some of the sites--just forgot or overlooked a bunch of sites--and then when asked about it, answered "YES" regardless.

I also found out that the board has negotiated with the head of our organization to buy out her contract (which runs until December 2018) effective in mid-July.  At least the person who has been chosen as interim Big Cheese is a retired Big Cheese from another organization in the area.  It seems like a good choice--this person has a very solid reputation and all internal candidates are viewed as the deplorable minions of the soon-to-be-ex-chief by many constituencies.

I started feeling pretty bad around lunch time, and after eating lunch (and waking myself up a bit), I came home.  Of course, I was out of it enough that I didn't realize until I got to my car that I'd left my purse in my desk upstairs.  That was fun because as I mentioned yesterday, walking is the pain-maximizing position for me these days.  By the time I got back to my car with my purse, I was in very bad shape.  Once I got home, I took 2 Percocet and laid down in what my office mate called the "coffin position" (after I told her how that is my most comfortable position) and took a nap for about an hour.  

I had considered bringing my laptop home in case (1) I decided to work some more this afternoon or (2) I decided to work from home tomorrow, but it was installing 88 updates very slowly.  I took this as a sign from the universe that I should just go home and flop out.

I'm just taking things one day at a time.  At least the new season of Orange is the New Black came out on Netflix so I have something to keep me occupied in my recliner when I am feeling well enough to not be lying coffin style but not well enough to sit up in a normal chair.

2 comments:

Jen M. said...

Glad that coffin pose is helping. But yeah it's hard to do much that way. So rest up! Reading that email exchange was probably way more effort than it warranted. I always double check stuff like that even if the people doing it should be able to verify it themselves. But being able to update but not query is pretty crazy!

Sally said...

Yeah, it's really weird but there are two different departments with responsibility for our database--one for the front end and one for the back end. It makes very little sense. And of course they do not communicate with each other well at all.