Thursday, October 29, 2015

Teal and Owls and Yahtzee Weirdness

And a Paisley Scarf--Thursday, 10/29/15

I liked the light brown/cognac and teal color combination in this inspiration photo, but the bright pink was feeling a little bit much for me, especially for the fall season.

From polyvore.com

So I used a somewhat darker brown and a deeper teal and left the pink out entirely (which I admit is not like me, but I think the outfit benefited from my restraint).


Dark teal cardigan (thrifted, Banana Republic), $2.50/wear+
Light brown pants (Kohls), $3.20/wear+
Brown wedges (thrifted, American Eagle), $0.50/wear+
Black/light blue/mustard paisley scarf (Target), $6.00/wear+
Black short-sleeved T (Target), $1.40/wear

Outfit total: $13.60/wear

Four new-to-the-Work-the-Wardrobe-Challenge items in one outfit!  It's been a while since I've done that.


That scarf is a real show-stealer in the top down photo, but I also liked how the outfit works even without it.  I always enjoy wearing these pants, but I don't do so very often.  I think I forget how versatile they are.  It's a bit hard to see even in this photo, but the pants have faint black flecks in them, so I think they go surprisingly well with a black top.

Being pairable with black makes such a big difference (in my wardrobe) in how mixable and re-mixable an item is, so I need to remember that these pants are not plain brown.  Of course, these days, it's perfectly OK to wear black and brown together, but I find that it looks more intentional when one of the items you're wearing has both colors in it.  Something made in a brown leopard print is the obvious solution for me, but light brown pants with faint black specks is another good option.  (I first wrote "solid option," which is a funny thing to say about a pair of pants made unexpectedly from a subtly patterned/not solid fabric.)


In other news...I haven't read the book Lean Out, but it sounds interesting.   It's a collection of 25 essays from women and trans gender people working in the tech industry, particularly in Silicon Valley.  I'm very interested in how the lack of representation in tech has become a "pipeline" problem in the dominant cultural narrative--i.e., that there aren't many women working in tech because there aren't enough women with the necessary skills to do the work--rather than one of a work culture that is hostile to women (and prevents some women from developing the skills because they won't want to work in that environment). 

Sometimes these draft blog post fragments really make me curious.  What prompted these lines?

Reason #281836590 not to believe everything you read on the Internet:

No, I did not actually attend the University of Texas as an undergrad.

I mean, I have not attended UT at all...well, except for 1 distance math class through their extension service.  How very odd indeed.

OWLS FOREVAH!
 

And from a Yahtzee game I was playing against my mom last night, what's wrong with this picture?


I mean seriously, what the hell?  I first noticed that it was counting my 6s as 18 on 6s, then that it counted 0 for 4 of a kind and then 22 on 3 of a kind.  Robert said, It must think one of the 6s is a 3.  And apparently that's right because it is counting this roll as 3 on 3s.  So weird!  And so annoying!

2 comments:

mom said...

It's hard enough to play without the game messing it up!

Sally said...

I know, right? Why couldn't they have thought the 1 was a 6 instead!