Friday, October 30, 2015

Atypical and Exhausted

Ordering the 4 Pattern Platter--Friday, 10/31/15

I appreciated this sophisticated business professional ensemble featuring a polka dot blouse and a navy pinstriped suit.

From lookandlovewithlolo.blogspot.com

I stole the polka dot top + pinstriped blazer aspect of this outfit, then proceeded to casualize and Sallify it.


Navy polka dot top (Kohls), $5.16/wear
Navy pinstriped blazer (thrifted, The Limited), $1.67/wear+
Straight leg jeans (Kohls), $1.32/wear
*Blue/orange/green floral infinity scarf (Target), $14.24/wear+
Navy striped flats (Payless), $3.40/wear

Outfit total: $25.79/wear

Because the colors of the main pieces of the outfit were the same, I thought I could stand to push the pattern-mixing up to 4 different prints, including a very bright and cheerful scarf.  This scarf is so interesting--there is one smallish segment of the floral print that is white, in contrast to the pink/blue/yellow/orange/green elsewhere.  When I got it, I thought that my scarf was flawed, but when I looked it up on the Target website, I saw that this was a design feature.  It looks pretty strange when you have the scarf lying flat but I think it looks cool once you put it on.


So this isn't a typical Friday-before-Halloween outfit for work but for those who are afraid of pattern mixing, it's downright frightening.

In other news...A brief reminder of what I was thinking about during the first year of my masters program:

Second year students at school are working on their PhD applications, and I've been hearing everyone talk about how brutal the process is going to be this year with programs taking on fewer PhD students than in years past.

And yet the reality is that PhD programs are in some ways not being brutal enough.  In most fields, they continue to take on way more students than the job market will withstand.  I'm glad to be out of that shit storm. 

Speaking of brutal, my brain is so very tired after an extremely intense and somewhat stressful day.  Thankfully I'm not a grad student so I get to have a relaxing weekend of no work whatsoever.  Wheeeee!

No comments: